Sign in to follow this  
Lemon

Wheels catching on 16v.

Can anyone help. I have an 1989 1.8 16v. It is lowered on G max -35 to 40mm suspension and now running TSW 17" x 7", ET35" rims. With yoko 205/40/17 tyres. Problem is they just catch the front wheel arch on the offside, but not the nearside. Do the arches need rolling or has anyone else had this problem???

Hmm, not sure about this one but something sounds a bit iffy. The car is lowered 40mm and is rubbing? Mines lowered 60mm and no rubbing! One possibility could be your topmount has gone on the offside, causing it to sit lower on that side. Or maybe the geometry is out of line (bent wishbone?).

Cheers

Mark 2.0 16V

I could be wrong but by my calculations 205/40/17 gives a rolling diameter of 23.6" rather than the 'standard' diameter of 22.6" (195/50/15). This already means you have 12mm less gap between your tyre and wheelarch so I guess it would be the equivalent of a 50-55mm drop?

Not sure if this really makes a difference. I only spotted it because I was looking at 17s the other day and I worked out that I would need 205/35 profile tyres to maintain the same rolling diameter. I think the fact that it is rubbing only on one side is a concern though.

Was the car lowered with an uprated spring kit? No chopped springs in there I hope? (Its amazing what people will do.)

check you wheel arch plastics. they tend to loosen and mis-shape. if your splitter catches it pushes the full lot out of line(ducting for brakes etc.

Yeah it was a g max complete lowering kit, so no chopping of springs here. Everything seems to be straight ie. wheel alignment etc etce

Just bought myself a set of 17's, and they are rubbing slightly on full lock. The ET is 37, so could this be sorted if I fit some 2-3mm spacers? The car is lowered 35-40mm on a Spax kit.

Cheers.