love vw

16v KR Misfires when cooling fan cuts in?

Hi

I hope somebody can shed some light on a problem thats just occured with my 1990 16v kr engined rado. just fired up as normal and left her to run up to temp as shes not used every day. i noticed that when the cooling fan cut in the engine started to misfire and run rough slight popping through the exhaust,and then cut out. Very odd ,first time had this fault. Waited for fan to stop and fired up again. Ran until fan cut in again, Problem reocurred:scratch: Alternator checked 13.80v which is ok ,thought alty was'nt producing enough power for fan and fuel pumps.

Could do with some advice please, and a point in right direction. Thanks

Many thanks for your reply ,i will have to check tomorrow as i live in a quiet road. Dont want to upset next door lol. I hope i get this sorted soon and the stupid metal coolant pipe. How hard are they to find now!!!!

Hello LOVE VW,

you can still purchase the metal water pipe that goes from the front of the engine over the top of the gearbox to the heater matrix,

I believe VW still sell them or they are on Ebay as well.

I've got one off a 1988 (E reg) MK2 Golf GTi 16v that had the KR engine in it in my garage if you want it for £10.00,

it's secondhand meaning it has been used but it's in really good condition.

Si :thumbleft:

HI many thanks all sorted, i was poking around in the engine bay and brushed past the dizy plug and found the engine to run poor ,so the fan cutting was coincedence!

I checked the plug and wires but found only the dizy's connection on the dizy body to be broken. Replaced dizy ALL is well again.

---------- Post added at 1:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:41 PM ----------

Hi si , if the one you have is still avalible i'll have it . ?

---------- Post added at 1:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:54 PM ----------

Hi si , if the one you have is still avalible i'll have it . ?

Hello LOVE VW, I'm sure it's still in my garage,

I'll have a look now and dig it out, plus I'll send you a few photo's just to make sure it is the one you're after.

I'll get back to you in around 15 to 20 mins.

Cheers

Si

Right mate I've found the pipe, please check the photo's to see if it is correct.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73529[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73530[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73531[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73532[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73533[/ATTACH]

There is a little surface rust which I've cleaned most of it off from the ends of the pipe,

it'll come complete with the 6mm bolt as well.

Si