delfinis38

rear carrier bolts.

trying to get the rear brake carrier off at the moment, but cant's remove the bolts. Grrrrrr... these things are never a five min job.

Bolts are the original so well rusted, internally and externally so the allen key profile is very slack. what's the best way to get them out. I think I'm on the way to knackering the lower bolt.

just soaking them in penetrating oil at the moment.......

As above, this was the only way i could eventualyl remove them.. was a five minute job using the Irwin Bolt grippers... make sure you have replacement bolts before removing though.

Shouldn't have an issue with a decent quality allen socket but if they've been re-used in the past you may needs the Irwins that you can now get in Homebase or on Amazon which is useful...

Shouldn't have an issue with a decent quality allen socket but if they've been re-used in the past you may needs the Irwins that you can now get in Homebase or on Amazon which is useful...

Ooooo you have changed your avatar :) thanks all for all the replies..... will pop out to VWfor some parts and try and get some irwins in the morning.

Allen key socket is a sykes pickavant so should be okay size wise. I think the issue is just it's the original bolt and very rusty internally and externally (the carrier has never been off, well I've not touched it in my ownership since 1998

how do irwins work size wise.. I've just put a caliper over the cap head and one says 16mm ish and the other is a nats smaller, due to rust.

edit....

I see screwfix sell them few quid more than amazon and ebay but it's a quick fix.....

http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-5-piece-bolt-grip-nut-remover-set/96028?kpid=96028&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CMC2gaiBzbYCFWbKtAod-TAADQ

I assume the 16mm socket will work then.

Edited by delfinis38

No probs, grab some irwins, they pay for themselves!

If you ask for those bolts from a MK3 Golf they are 50 each as opposed to £2 for the Corrado ones - 1mm longer I think but fit absolutly fine as the carriers are the same - odd!

No probs, grab some irwins, they pay for themselves!

If you ask for those bolts from a MK3 Golf they are 50 each as opposed to £2 for the Corrado ones - 1mm longer I think but fit absolutly fine as the carriers are the same - odd!

thanks for the tip !

just ordered some irwins from amazon..... always handy to have in the tool box !

I have found that a long ball-ended 8mm allen key/socket is the easiest solution. It will articulate at the angle needed to get right into the socket of the screws and then you can put the torque onto it without it slipping.

Best wishes

RB

Thanks all for the advice......

Irwins arrived from amazon this morning and carrier was removed with no effort at all.....

any recommendations for a decent quality bearing grease.

also anyone bought rear bearing and rear abs rotors from VW recently and can give me a heads up on price.

TA

Thanks all for the advice......

Irwins arrived from amazon this morning and carrier was removed with no effort at all.....

any recommendations for a decent quality bearing grease.

also anyone bought rear bearing and rear abs rotors from VW recently and can give me a heads up on price.

TA

Maybe not VW but a fair few of us use parts from these chaps: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK3-VR6-MK4-TDI-TURBO-CORRADO-REAR-ABS-RING-C509-/190685920381?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c65c43c7d

Service and parts are top notch IMHO.