Jim Bowen

Engine paint

Anyone got any recommendations on what engine paint to use?

Do people normally just paint the block and leave the head?

not sure whether to do silver or black

The colour will depend on how often you fancy cleaning it imagine.. Silver will need more tickling than black..

I won't be cleaning it very often, i thought black but also thought about the oil leak thing.

I'll probably go for black

just don't use hammerite or any other oil based paint! any oil/fuel leak/spill, and your block instantly looks cr@p as the paint falls off!

There are quite a few good engine lacquers out there that aren't expensive and do a nice job... :)

Depending on the colour of the car, I'm quite partial to either a red or blue block, just to have a little colour in there and make it a bit more obvious someone's spent some TLC on the engine, but then, I've painted the last 4 blocks I built black! :lol:

I don't like hammerite and never buy it, spent ages doing my brakes and it all peeled off and rusted underneath.

Just ordered the Granville stuff rob posted, ebay being open all hours is quite handy.......

My spare head is off being vapour-blasted at the moment...mostly to get it totally clean, but it's supposed to give it that expensive-fruit-branded-laptop satin aluminium look. Since the surface is effectively being peened it allegedly makes it harder for dirt to stick too! Will post results when I get it back on Saturday :)

For the block, any colour other than black or metallic (silver or gold) basically makes it look like Baby's First Engine. Don't do it!

I've just done mine buddy, I used gal fords black gloss engine paint, must say its a great paint to use and looks very impressive now done.

Just got back from the vapour blasters. SERIOUSLY impressed! When I mentioned I'd just bought an ultrasonic cleaner he even gave me a free tub of cleaning fluid for it :D

Unfortunately the pitting to the block side is worse than I thought, so I'll have to get it welded up and skimmed. Seriously tempted to go big valve at the same time...

Before:

vapour-before.jpg

After (1):

vapour-after1.jpg

After (2):

vapour-after2.jpg

My ultrasonic cleaner isn't half bad either!

ultrasonic.jpg

Stone