mystic8v

g60 cambelt change

Hi I have replaced the cambelt on my g60 and was wondering what the correct procedure is to tension the belt,and where to check on the belt for 90 degree turn? I think its the longest part of the belt?,is the engine supposed to be hot or cold as it gets tighter when hot,are you suposed to check tension when engine is at tdc? Or doesn't it matter? Its just somthing I want to make sure is correct,cheers

Welcome to the forum - you're right, halfway down the longest run and doesn't really matter if hot or cold but maybe worth running for a bit to take any slack etc out and check it still all lines up ok although doesn't need to be at TDC to check the tension.

Did you replace the 12 point crank bolt also?? - this is an important point of failure if not been done previously!

Hi cheers for the quick reply,I haven't replaced the crank bolt,was this an issue with all model year g60s,mines a 1991,do you have the torque setting in nm for the bolt? Cheers

When I run the engine and turn it off and check the tension its just around the 90 degrees but if I run the engine again and recheck then it can tighten up,but I think this will happen as the engine may be on a power stroke or close to tdc,do these cambelts run quite slack?