Byrd

Vr6 Sensor Hell!!!

HAd my Vr6 back from an engine rebuild that took most of last year, and its been going smoothly since- lacking a bit of bite though, and in my opinion running rich- I did remove the Cat from the exhaust last year so though it was that causing the richer smell.

Put it on VAG-com today and got 2 error codes- 00527- Intake Manifold Temp Sensor and 00513 Engine Speed Sensor.

I have done some research here on the forum and it seems like a bottomless pit, this issue of sensors.....................

Can anyone with a thorough knowledge of VR6 engines answer this for me PLEASE- Is it a good idea to start the problem solving by replacing these sensors, and if so are they the same in the 2.9 Vr6 as the 2.8 VR6? Are there any other simple measures to try before replacing the sensors.

I know it's a downright BORING post, but when you are in this position, and you dont have much experience with engines- IT'S A DAMN LONELY PLACE TO BE!!!

Post up the VAGCOM text on here... if they're shorted to ground then i'd replace

Thanks Supercharged, will see if I can get her back onto VAG com..........

Engine speed sensor fault will ALWAYS come up with the engine not runnining, so you can perhaps discount that. If it's running rich, it may well be the blue temperature sensor in the thermostat housing; this tells the ECU to richen the mixture when the engine is cold and should then tell it to revert to normal mixture once it gets to ( I think) about 70 C. It's cheap and easy (ish) to change that. What sort of fuel economy are you getting?

Best wishes

RB