Jamie

VDO Oil Pressure Gauge Wiring

Quick question for you blokes - asked a mechanic at work if he could see if he could get me a dual oil pressure sender for the VDO gauge panel I'm about to order and he said I don't need one, I can use a piggy back connector on the standard switch - is this correct? He does normally know what he's talking about but I can't find anything online that says you can do it, everything says you either need two switches and a T piece or a VDO dual sender...

he's wrong....

You can supposedly do that with an oil temp sender, but neither will then tell an accurate temperature, you really need an M10x1 threaded T-Piece and 2 senders (the senders are cheap from GSF, as they're used on MKI through MKIII GTIs, and M10x1 T-pieces are cheap from most auto factors) to do the the oil temp properly

For oil pressure, you need a VDO gauge sender part number "360 006D". This is an M10x1 threaded 80PSI gauge sender, which also has a 7PSI warning switch built in... (I know this as I have the correct sender sat next to my keyboard as I type this! :lol: ) see here! 8)

Dunno where's best to get them from these days, I bought mine a long while back, I think from DemonTweeks (who aren't showing them anymore), and got a good discount 'cos I bought 5 of 'em! (don't ask, it was a long time ago and I did silly things like that back then! :oops: ) With the help of Google, you'll probably find that importing one from the US will work out costing you just under £40 for a brand new one... :)

When I did mine, I was looking for VDO dual sender V360023 with a 10bar measuring range and 0.5bar warning trigger point, thread M10x1. I found an equivalent/same VAG item, part number T11 919 081.

I ordered mine from VAGParts website for £22 delivered, but that was back in 2005!

​It fitted and wired in okay, and did seem to work as expected.

Thanks for confirming that for me - I thought that sounded a bit easy :lol:

Was originally going to order this one (get a healthy discount) http://mobile.justkampers.com/360081030001-5-bar-vdo-oil-pressure-sender.html but I need to double check the warning trigger is 7psi.

Henny - don't suppose you have one of the five spare you'd be willing to part with? ;) :D

Thanks again for the replies

Jamie, nah, sorry mate, only got the one left, and that's to go with the gauges I've got for sale at the moment...