STU175

Whats wrong with my steering? HELP

seems i have another problem with my steering?!

when steering from there seems to be a creaking and clicking coming from the steering rack?

i have jacked car up with both wheels off the floor and checked all balljoints/top mounts wishbones and they all seem fine but the sound seems to be coming from the rack or UJ its hard to tell.

only on a certain place when going from lock to lock you can feel a slight resistance through the steering?

how can i pinpoint what is wrong before dropping subframe to remove steering rack? HELP getting to my wits end with this car now as i have already replaced steering rack about a year ago with second hand one off a 95 16v

​thanks stu

Sure it's not a top mount bearing mate??

thats what i first thought and the first thing i checked and fitted brand new vw ones about 1000 miles ago.

the noise is definetly from uj or steering rack.

i have just noticed that when i feel the resistance through the steering wheel it moves up ever so slightly??

i dont know im really loosing the love at the moment and my dads mk 4 golf anniversary is up for grabs soon and becoming very tempting:(

doesnt seem to matter how much time and cash i throw at theres allways something else that goes wrong:(

Edited by STU175

doesnt seem to matter how much time and cash i throw at theres allways something else that goes wrong:(

yea i know what you mean some times you just got to stick these things out, does this noise happen when just steering left to right while not moveing? or does it only happen when on the move? maybe worth taking it to a garage to get there opinion on it if its realy p155ing you off,

What i would do is jack the front up with axle stands and get under and have someone steer it while you look and listen for this mystery noise,

Clutching at straws here; I had a similar problem with my Passat a while ago; there was resistance to turning and lots of strage noises. It turned out that the rubber gasket in the bulkhead that the steering column goes through had got tangled up in the universal joint. It just needed to be re-located and all was well.

Hope it's that simple....

Best wishes

RB

tonight i decided to jack front end up high and place 4 paving slabs under each front wheel so i can get a look at it with weight on the wheels.

i got a mate to move the steering and it became apparent that the rack was moving side to side about 10mm! this wasnt visable without the weight on it!

the click i was hearing was the rack moving slightly through the rubber mount it has on one side.

funny enough after i re-torqued all the bolts the steering feels nice and positive and no noise:bonk:

seems when i refurbed and painted the subframe last year i may have got a bit carried away with the hammerite and it had turned to dust underneath it leaving it slightly loose!

​any way the love is back again screw the mk4 golf LOL

​thanks for your suggestions tho lads makes a change a nice cheap fix LOL

Edited by STU175

Ah nice one mate, I nearly suggested that but didn't think that would give a click...

Maybe worth looking at the powerflex mount - holds it nice and solid!

Maybe worth looking at the powerflex mount - holds it nice and solid!

so does the standard one now the bolts are tight LOL