andyhudson

brake bleeding topic

I've searched and read them all and now realise its not just me that's struggled.

i managed to get some form of pedal feel after a full night and as soon as i started her up there was nothing. i tried bleeding the abs nipples and master cylinder as well but its still naff. ive read that it will go better with driving but im not even at the stage where it good enough to drive.

i have refurbed rear beam and mk4 calipers, i replaced the bias valve, the only thing i can think of is that the 2 lines that run from front of the car down floor pan to the bias valve are the wrong way. i plumbed it left to left ect. is this right?

does the ignition need to be on as some people mention this and others don't and if the ignition does will it matter that my abs light is on or will the abs pump still work in pressurising?

the sequence i have read is

rear left then right

front left then right

abs

master cylinder

and have the ignition on and the bias valve so the pistons out

any help please, as much detail as possible ignition on, rear jacked up, eazibleed, old school pumping ect what ever it may be

is there anyway you can safely drive it to try and wear in the pads? maybe early early morning when nobodys about? i had this problem when i replaced my rear mk4 calipers+pads, it slowly went away in a couple of days , im putting it down to the disc pads needing to wear flat to the disc's ...

That is a really good point! I whip the pads off and chamfer them. I didn't want to replace the discs and pads yet due to upgrading front at somepoint so thought I'd do it all at once then.

well i decided to just try driving the car. the brakes work well and the pedal feel has got better now but not perfect. strangely it does get better and really firm from time to time. so may be master cylinder is on it way out.

if you slowly ease the brake pedal down and keep it down ,{I mean very slowly applying light pressure pushing abit harder the further it goes} if the master cylinder seals are going then the pedal will eventually hit the floor as the fluid wil pass the seals, if it doesn't hit the floor then the seals are sound, I thought my master cylinder was on its way out but my pedal wont hit the floor....

Edited by VW_OwneR_85