VEEDUBBED

Girling 60 calipers...how does 1 get the dust seal in?

Right then all, Has anyone ever overhauled a set of Audi s2 duel piston Girling 60 calipers?

Try as i may i've tried to get the dust seals back in but i can't for the life of me succceed in getting

the little (and big) fekkers back in, no way.

Any special tips or procedures?

Thanks.

Yeah, done them about 1-2 years ago.. I remember struggeling a bit, but can't really remember what I did..

Think I installed the thin dust-seals into the calipers first, then lubed up the pistons so they can somehow be squished past.. It's a tight fit!

The big one goes into the groove in the pistons iirc?

Do you have some pictures to refresh my memory? I kinda only have this.. :-(

2012-05-30211903.jpg

Allrite wormy, thanks for that. My problem regards the outer rubber dust covers, no way i can get the buggers in

Those are the exact calipers like mine. The only way i see of doing it without damaging the seals or dust covers is to use a piece of metal tube slightly bigger in diameter than the caliper's pistons and first insert the pistons.

If it's anything like ATE 288mm single pot calipers, firstly get the piston out of the bore of the casting, then push the dust seal onto the piston and locate the front in the piston recess. Then pull the bellows to its fullest extension and locate the other end in the casting recess BEFORE you start to put the piston into the bore. Once both ends of the dust seal are located, then start lining up and pushing the inner end of the piston into the bore, lube with brake fluid to prevent damage to the main seal. I found that VERY gentle use of a large G-clamp/valve spring compressor to push the piston in the first few millimetres is useful - you need to start the main seal into the bore absolutely straight. I think that there is a lead-in.

Best wishes

RB

I've just put some standard single pot mk1 golf ones together using the same technique as described above by RB.

I'd painted them in regular paint (not brake fluid-proof) and so used girling (castrol) rubber grease on the pistons and seals instead of brake fluid for assembly. I found this MUCH easier than when I'd previously tried with (not enough) brake fluid as a lubricant.