Jim Bowen

Hydraulic lifter questions

Am thinking i might as well look into my lifters and hope thats sorts out my noise.

Got some engine flush and castrol magnatec on the way so will try that first. Has got me thinking my old engine started getting noisy and now i think back the oil i've usually used changed. They discontinued the old stuff and renamed it. (am not confident that is my issue, but am hoping it is)

I have some new lifters on the way anyway, but would rather put them in my old engine that i will rebuild.

Can you visually or in any way inspect the used lifters to tell they are worn? It crossed my mind i could try using my old ones from old engine to put into current engine.

Hope that makes sense :lol:

Why go to all the aggro of taking the cams out to put old lifters in you may as well put your new ones in and get another set for the engine you are building up. I would give the engine a flush and some fresh oil and take it from there.

I spose you're right, for the cost of some tappets i may as well just renew all of them.

Started taking my old head apart lastnight, not sure what i'm looking for in terms of wears etc, everything looked nice to me, but its the first time i've ever looked inside an engine.

Keep us updated - interested to know if they quieten down the ticking / tapping problem.

Should be getting my oil today, so going to try that tonight. Bought some INA tappets from Lewis on the forum so will try them after that. If still noisy am not sure what to do, its quite hard to ignore.

Yeah - think you have the exact same symptoms as me. I also find that if I drive very gently on the throttle from cold all the way to the car getting warmed up (keeping it below 2,200RPM'ish) that things don't sound that rattly. It's only after the car is warmed up and giving it a bit more revs that the problem becomes quite noticable. I seem to experience it in all the same sorts of rev ranges as you do based on your other post so keen to hear how you get on.

Thats what has made me wonder if its the oil, when up to temp maybe its too thin or not working properly.