coleman09

Just want to clarify before i spend lots of pennies advice please :)

Hi guys just picked my self up a nugget quite cheap saved her from the scrap man, she isnt running at the min as the lad who i got it off attempted putting a 2.0 from a 1.8 and realized he capabilities diddnt stretch beyond assembling a card board box... Any way after rectifying bodged wires and crap workmanship ive managed to get spark, engine has good compression and i get her nearly starting from a bit of brake cleaner in the induction hose. So its evident its a fueling issue, now ive jumper-ed the relay, switched the relay etc still nothing (Fuel pump isnt making a sound) unplugged the loom in the boot from the pump in the tank and put a circuit tester light on it, im only getting the light illuminating on one wire on the loom im presuming as the others may be none constant lives etc and no illumination from the loom plugged in the pump under the body in front of axle drivers side im hoping this is correct ? now i cant hear any sound coming from the pump in the tank when position 2 and the pump underneath every few turns makes a slight noise sort of like fluid moving like its trying so before i go spend over 300 would i be right in replacing both pumps ? this is my first corrado you see any info would be very much appreciated and hope to meet some of you in the near future at the meets ! Really want to get her back on the road as you dont see many yellow ones left

Hello mate,

both the fuel pumps have twin connector plugs.

The fuel pump under car, brown wire is (earth) and the red / yellow wire is (power)

Fuel pump in tank has violet / black is (earth) and the red / yellow is (power)

If you disconect the plug off the pump under car and put a live directly on to the fuel pump, (take note of live and earth)

it should fire up hopefully (this will confirm if pump / pumps are on their way out or not)

Other than that it could be ignition switch playing up ?

Have you got enough power in the battery ?

Hope this helps.

Si

Thanks for that mate i shall try it this eve, yeah i have stuck a new battery on her along with having a running car jumpered over to her to keep juice in the battery whiles cranking

tried this, getting no noise at all from either pump, think its safe to say they are knackered, about the in tank pump however it dosent have a twin plug, it has 4 connectors if that makes a difference ?

Oh right ok so you've got the four wired plug to the tank lift pump,

I think I gave you the early wire colours as the real early Corrado's had very similar fuel system to the MK2 Golf,

which is red / yellow wire is (power) for both pumps and the violet / black wire is earth or is for the sender unit.

I'm sure they share the same power wire as it's on the same circuit I think because both pumps should be running at the same time.

I think then for the four pin plug that you have, this is.

Right hang on a sec ? just trying to locate the wiring diagram.

Will be back shortly.

Si

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Right here we go,

I think red / yellow wire is (power) to pump (this wire is 1.5mm thick)

brown wire is (earth) to pump (this wire is 1.5mm thick)

brown / blue or brown / black is (earth) to sendor unit (this wire is 1mm thick)

violet / white or violet / blue is (power / signal from sendor unit to fuel gauge) (this wire is 1mm thick)

Yeah so if you put a power source directly as you did to the external pump under car,

but this time to tank lift pump, you should hopefully hear it buzz.

(take note of power & earth to tank lift pump)

Hope this helps mate.

Si :thumbleft:

cheers for that buddy, new fuel pump on and now getting fuel all the way to the injectors, had a few back fires so probably looking at either bad timing or something to do with the air side of things, seemed the person who had it before me put coil leads in the wrong order of the dizzy so ive switched them around however thhere seems to be some regulators and vacuum hoses missing from the induction hose, so i think it should just be down to that why it wont start now fingers crossed. This is the problem with buying somebody elses half arsed job you dont know what theyve done or not done haha. thanks for your help si fingers crossed she will be running by some point this week, she is only supposed to be a slow moving project but i feel sorry for it so already stuck her some coilovers on and splashed out a little :)