jontykint

rear axle corrosion

hey, has anyone had issues with a rear axle corroding right through between the press-fit bushes (off side)?

I have an inch hole, would i be able to weld this up? although i have new bushes in place already. melting?

Whats the story with removing them for welding hole up and refitting?

tbh the whole axle is showing plenty of flaking off on the off side, whats the damage for an axle change? Probs with a powder coat too.

i honestly wouldn't like to say if its weld-able or not without seeing it in the flesh, is there good clean metal around it, a pic would help?

the bushes are metal encased, i would definitely remove them for welding, as i cant see them doing anything other than compromising the weld quality if left in place, also you'd probably weld them in - and they are hard enough to remove as is :)

the axles are usually pretty solid, again judgement call.

cost wise - what you plan on doing yourself?

yea there is a little bit of metal around it which is sound, but its back together now, I am looking to get a powder coating quote on it when I'm next home, im working away now for a few days. Will try and get a pic up then, and ask for a bit more advice on if it would be worth sorting it, or getting new one.

Just for curiosity, do VW still have the rear axle on the books?

no idea, plenty of breakers with ok ones i'd expect tho.