andy b

Hi, i have just recently bought a corrado vr6 to strip and restore to concourse condition, the car in question is a 1995 storm with MOT and Tax but its tired. I will be keeping it original but do a full nut and bolt restoration. The only thing i will ship out is the painting everything else i will do myself. I can belive i need to fork out nearly 80 pounds just to get some manuals to guide me. I will be starting on the car in a couple of weeks time as i have just nearly completed re-building and extending my house which has taken best part of a year and a half.

i previously had golf gti,s but i fancied a change.

Welcome to the forum Andy, you're in the right place for advice during the restoration.

Get some pics up so we can see where you are starting from.

​Paul

Sounds like a great project and something I'd very much like to do to mine. Best of luck with it and looking forward to seeing pics of progress!

yes nocked him down 500 notes

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

yes I knocked him down 500 notes

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

yes I knocked him down 500 notes

yes nocked him down 500 notes

Excellent work with the price! I spent about an hour with him two weeks ago looking at the car and was very interested. It was only a mile away from me. I had decided to buy it until I saw another car in Scotland which I subsequently bought instead.

I thought your car was a good honest car. It has lots of potential and it is incredibly rare to find a car that has had 1 owner for 18 years, let alone a Storm! It drives very nicely. Looking forward to seeing your progress with it.

cheers, it does need work but as you say it is a honest car, its had a little bits and pieces done, but I will be doing a complete nut and bot restoration. I will not be rushing this and will be looking at buying equipment for powder coating etc. if I can find somewhere to rent a spray booth a bloke I work with at the moment is an ex v.w panel beater and sprayer. I plan to strip the car and while the body work is being carried out, rebuild the engine and gearbox.

made some more progress stripping, this car may not be going back as i originaly intended watch this space :)

IMG-20131013-00645.jpg

IMG-20131013-00642.jpg

IMG-20131013-00643.jpg

ok its been a while so time for update.

i have finished stripping items off shell except for a couple of bungs and side trim, one more afternoon and that will be done.

i am looking into dipping shell. there is some corrosion around the drivers side rear arch, where water and dirt have collected around fuel filler neck. other than that it looks solid.

i need to get tow bar fitted to my transporter so i can tow the car around.

IMG-20150308-01675.jpg

i will get some pictures up when the car has been dipped and the body work is repaired and re-sprayed, then i will put it all back together to include the engine being rebuilt and re-trimed

IMG-20150308-01674.jpg

IMG-20150308-01673.jpg

glad i am nearly finished running out of garage space lol

IMG-20150308-01678.jpg

It's amazing how much space a broken car takes up! lol

I've heard mixed reviews on shell dipping. I'm no expert on it mind, although when I looked in to the cost, if you have all processes done (i.e. before and after you've done your welding) then I think it was about £3500! If you're doing an E-type or similar I can understand it, but for a car at this value I'm not so sure it's worth it?

There's a lot to be said for the original corrosion protection (in places) so if it were me I'd make localised repair as necessary, strip the underseal to make sure nothing is hidden, then reapply and paint.

Your car though! lol Looking forward to your updates ;)

yes the process just for dipping is around 3 grand. Ok this is my method of madness a decent car cost around 30k these days. I plan to make the car as good as new, concourse condition so i am budgeting between 20- 30 k to do. i never plan to sell the car just keep it so instead of buying a new car for 30 k i going to plough the money into building a new corrado. in many years to come it may be worth so money it may not. i only plan to do this once so its going to be done properly.

the dipping process is used on new cars, i was toying with blasting but this can damage the metal.

its going to be a slow old process but will be as good as new when i have finished:)

yes you can call me a nutter lol

I bow to you :notworthy: and yes you are a nutter!

This will be a car to be worshipped when it's done.

Ah that makes perfect sense Andy, I didn't realise that you were planning such a full-on resto of the car. I get your thinking now ;)

Fairly thrilled to see someone undertaking this level of restoration on a Corrado. It was always something I dreamt of doing with a lottery win - to get a virtually factory fresh, brand new Corrado put together so this should be somewhere close judging by the level of ambition here. Please do keep us posted with progress! :)

That is some effort and money you will be putting in and if its done to high enough standard by god!! you will one hell of a sorted Corrado.

I also like your thinking, in knowing that you might not get back what you put in. But do it anyway for the sheer passion of it.

I take my hat off to you sir.

Yes agree with Sanky, I did this on a 1984 Honda cb900, a Boldour racer model was a complete heap when i bought it and did a full nut and bolt on that.

The satisfaction factor is up way in the clouds when you can say "i did that".