chazrad

VR6 Decat pipe

Sorry to derail a bit,

how much difference does a decat pipe make?My VR came with one in the boot spare, and it has been sat on the shelf in the garage since I got the car, is it worth fitting? Presumably has to be swapped back for MOT time?

If you can believe the ads on e-bay for the de-cat pipe, you can expect to gain approx. 10bhp due to the less restrictive nature of the pipe. MOT failure, so keep the cat.

I've found a touch more performance can be noticed with, due to freer flowing exhaust gases but the main notable change is exhaust note.

With the cat fitted my VR's calm and conservative, with a decat pipe fitted its loud and aggressive, pops on over-run and snarls on hard acceleration.

This is also very cheap if in good nick and fits well.

I've found a touch more performance can be noticed with, due to freer flowing exhaust gases but the main notable change is exhaust note.

With the cat fitted my VR's calm and conservative, with a decat pipe fitted its loud and aggressive, pops on over-run and snarls on hard acceleration.

This is also very cheap if in good nick and fits well.

Exactly! May get some flames too! :lol:

Exactly! May get some flames too! :lol:

I know which I prefer, I know which neighbours/local residents hate.

Ok, thanks. Can't say mine is calm and conservative as it is, makes me wonder what it would be like with the decat :bonk:

Cazza are you building a collection of these? Didn't you buy Rams' one as well? :lol:

I'll have it please Charlie!

Cazza, no problems. PM on its way.

Re how loud these things are, they make a little difference. They do allow a slightly better engine response due to the freer flowing gases. So there must be a slight increase in top end power, but I'd doubt it was anything like 10 bhp though, at least not on an NA VR6. I would have thought 5 bhp is more like it. And yes, come MOT time, the cat may have to go back on to get through the emissions test.