NickHall55

My dads 2.0l 8v corrado needs help, lag when throttle is pressed

Hi,

My poor old mans 8v 2l corrado is having lag issues, oh and bad starting in cold weather.

When you drive away there is an initial lag/drop in acceleration, this happens after each gear change,it then picks up and seems to run ok. He's taken it to many different garages who have tried many thing at his expense and only being a pensioner he cant afford to keep throwing money which he hasn't got, any longer so im determined to help out, with you guys help.

He has had vac pipes replaced, sensors cleaned, new plugs, leads, fuel filter. The last garage he went to and they plugged in a computer said that the throttle body was throwing up an error and quoted alot of money to swap it out, which he hasn't as yet.

I've started googling cars with similar issues but get abit overwhelmed with the number of probable causes. Are there any sites to give diagrams or pictures of all the sensors and there locations for me to do some tinkering to try and help him out?

Any suggestions are gratefully received,

Cheers,

Nick.

Hi Nick

Which 8v engine is it ? (either 2e or ADY)

The engines were used in a whole range of Seats or VWs so there's always a solution somewhere.

Check all the pipes for splits and that they're seated properly first. After that maybe clean out the throttle body and/ or MAF. Do all the free stuff first, before splashing out on new bits.

This Mk3 guide may help:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=101400.0

Let us know how you get on.

PS: chuck a couple of pictures up for us as well.

Edited by James.

LoL you got me already, how do I tell which is which?

Sorry !

Nick.

The later ady has a proper maf connected after the air box the 2e has the air flow meter on top of the air filter, if you are still unsure then the boot floor sticker or cam belt cover label has the engine code and number on it

Well my dads out in the car at the moment but im sure there is a sensor on the airfilter box and one just after. I'll check when he gets home.

Thanks for feedback.

Nick.

Sorry for delay. My dads car engine is a ADY. I have cleaned the MAF sensor which improved the response time/throttle initial lag slightly. Any other ideas very welcome and NEEDED!.

Thanks,

Nick.

Sounds like you've found the problem then, I don't think cleaning ever fully recovers that type of maf sensor, It may well need a new one. If you can get the ecu scanned, preferably with vcds (vag com) It should throw some light on the cause, sensor giving out of range values etc, at least this type of maf is fairly common as used on lots of golfs, passats etc with the 2l 8v engines, should be able to get one for a reasonable price new/recon.