borarob

Argh! New problem, this time power steering

Drove to work this morning, 10 mile trip, car driving (and idling beautifully), last two corners I turned though I nearly crashed as steering went really heavy I.e. no power steering. Battery light did not come on, power remained to everything, no squeal from anywhere. Parked in work had a look under the bonnet, all belts look good and are not loose. Fluid level is good.

Drove home, again happened while at slow speed turning to park. Drove the remainder of the way home, 8 miles or so and no issues.

Ideas anyone? Not gonna be related but the only fiddling I've done recently is removing snorkel from air box and refitting breather pipe that instead of going into the airbox was stuffed down the side of it.

Thought the car was beginning to love me but it seems not. Was I stupid to think I could run a Corrado as a daily :-(

More info

If I sit idling I can turn lock to lock as much as I want and all is well. It seems at speed it is ok, though for obvious reasons I've not wanted to boot it. At low speed round corners, and seems to be only right hand corners I get the problem. This has now developed into it being not just heavy but notchy too.

:(

Can you see the fluid in the tank? I thought mine had liquid in until i took the lid off and looked inside, seems i was just seeing the old stain mark from the outside.

Yes level is mid way between min and max. Verified by tapping and opening to check. As I say all works perfectly sat idling....

I think the only problem when turning right is a red herring. Thinking about where I drove I only made right hand turns! So let's take that out of the equation for now, any more thoughts? If it was a rack problem surely it would dodgy all the time? As I say, as at idle, lock to lock is perfect, smooth as butter

typical, mechanic bro in law came round and took her for a spin - no problems at all! of course im not gonna be lucky enough for that to be the end of it. will update in the morning when it does it on the way to work :-(

My rack is goosed. Turns easily left, heavy to the right... Sometimes it feels lighter turning right at times.

Strange.

well following on from my bro in law driving it and not encountering any problems, I also had a problem free drive to work this morning. That said i'm tempted to buy the pump anyway, you're right rack a bit tricky would need courier. I take it the pump is good condition / working and are they all the same? mine is 2.0 valver....

Ok so I just checked vagcat and it doesn't specify for each model so id say they are the same part, same for the rack.

Can you get part no off yours?