Sign in to follow this  
Stonejag

Help reading Bentley wiring diagrams

Hi all,

This is a bit embarrassing for an electronic engineer, but I really can't make head or tail of the wiring diagrams in the Bentley :scratch:

I'm looking at the harness to the radiator fans, fan control unit and radiator fan switch - since my fans failed and I'm replacing them with aftermarket bits, I want to remove the old harness that's no longer doing anything. I think this is the right diagram from the Bentley:

coolant-fans-wiring-diagram.png

This seems to imply that there's just one live feed from the fusebox to the radiator thermoswitch (a 2.5mm red wire) and another that feeds both the yellow sender and the fan control module. However ETKA shows the harness is actually huge! I can only assume it contains far more than the circuits shown in the diagram.

287010.png

I'd really like to strip out the bulky wiring, especially the bit that joined the fan controller to the fans since it's huge, but I'm not mad keen on just cutting the ends off the harness as it'll leave those live feeds loose where they could potentially short on something. Could I just pull fuse 13 and disconnect whatever connector T1a is to isolate these?

The plan is to just hook the radiator switch to a relay and use it to directly drive the replacement fan off the battery - when the ignition's off it'll overrun until the system's cooled down. I'll probably end up hooking the aux coolant pump to this circuit as well to keep things circulating.

Cheers,

Stone