Langsam

1.8 16v front engine mount hydro and non hydro

Hiya my front engine mount is foobard. So Ive been looking for a replacement but I'm confused between which one I should buy.

Appearantly my C should have a hydro mount fitted, but what is the difference between thr hydro and non hydro mounts and there benefits? Other than amassive price difference!

Cheers

The non hydraulic front mounts are for older, smaller engined mk2 golfs, you need the hydraulic one to a) be stong enough for the heavier 1.8 16v and 2L engines and b) isolate the engine vibration sufficiently. If you go for an aftermarket mount like a vibratechnics, these are not hydraulic but are stronger than the basic rubber mount, they will reduce engine movement but at the trade off for noise and vibration, and eventually leading to increased wear on other engine parts, possibly even cracking the front engine bracket.

the diesel mount is hydraulic for the mk2 diesel golfs too, different part number to 16v and G60 golf and corrado but probably not obtainable any more (correct OEM VW part - 191 199 279 C)

I'd imagine a pattern solid rubber part listed for the diesels will simly be the same part as the general mk2 golf solid rubber mount, personally I'd find a hydraulic one made by FEBI (replacement for VW no. 357 199 279B), the rear mounts I've had from FEBI have been fine, other suppliers make mounts that physically fit but cause vibration.