feeenix14

Same parts different suppliers. Who should i use !?!

In the next few weeks i am going to be getting coilovers for my vr6 and also need to get rear discs and bearings so thought while i was at it i would change as much as possible to save problems further down the line and because the steering is a bit wobbly/clunky.

so i have decided to change my front bearings as well, and also my balljoints, track rod ends and top mounts. Hopefully that should transform the handling of the car to what it hink it should be.

But i am getting confused with which parts i need and which supplier to use. I have been browsing oemparts.co.uk and just wanted advice because at the minute i am just looking at pictures thinking I'll get that one because it looks like i get more for my money, and the difference in price is just as confusing

ball joints - FEBI, LEMFARDER, TRW ? i have made a note of FEBI part no. 14428 because it comes with a new securing plate

front bearings - FAG or SKF ? i think most people on here prefer SKF ?

track rod ends - LEMFARDER, DELPHI, FEBI, TRW ?? I have absolutely no idea and the price range is confusing, i dont want cheap tat on my car but are the expensive ones worth the extra ? I've made a note of part numbers 10249 02 & 10250 02.

top mounts - what the hell. there are loads to pick from and i have no clue. FEBI part no 14116 seems ok and seems to include the bearing which i think is the most important part ?

if anyone can advise of anything else i can fit while I'm in there then great,

but mainly advice on the suppliers because at the minute i am scratching my head and have an online basket full of stuff i probably shouldnt be buying

thanks for your help

Sam

sourcing parts from VW themselves is the safest bet, they do change their suppliers so there's no guarantee you'll get the same supplier each time but generally the parts are of the best quality and most likely to last.

after that I'd put FEBI close to the bottom of the list, some of their stuff I've had has been really low quality, but it varies from one part to another, Lemforder make genuine wishbones AFAIK so would be worth the cost over cheap pattern ones, TRW were definitely an OEM supplier for some parts too. SKF made genuine bearings but even companies like that have different plants and may use a different one to supply the aftersales market to VW. Just steer clear of the cheaper versions of parts that GSF, ECP etc use.

best bet imo is to phone oem parts, explain the order to them an get recommendations as to which to go for..

most parts guys will say 'go for the cheap one/pay extra for a better one' where needed..

It might be worth looking at GSF and ECP/Carparts4less too as both can supply decent makes such as Lemforder, TRW, SKF, etc.

For example, ECP have the Lemforder balljoint for 17.94 at the moment, and it looks like it comes with the fixing plate and bolts.

I wouldn't dismiss Febi entirely, but if you can get Lemforder for just a few quid more it's definitely worth paying the extra.

If you don't want the hassle and ensure everything fit as they should with quality then Dealer parts is your best bet unless you can source the same original genuine dealer parts being sold on ebay.

If your buying lots of parts at once try and get a discount from your VW dealer or if you have a local TPS. See if they will sell you the parts directly. Normally reserved for the trade. TPS are suppliers to VW.

SKF bearing you can get from ebay think they are OEM supplier to VW so same part.

This link may help you with part numbers with nice diagrams from previous post in the past

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=49295&highlight=sharing+parts+catalogue+pdf

Edited by VWVW