jonnykillpop

Anyone had Misfire Probs. with NGK Plugs?

Hello, my VR6 has had 2 sets of VW Leads, Magnecors, and is now on a set of 10mm Red Beru ones been on for few months. Always develops a slight misfire after a while, all leads seem fine when tested off car. The latest Beru's were perfect until last week and slight misfire starts. Taking off with the tool and putting back one normally cures for bit, but these Beru ones and the VW ones never seem to come loose like some cheaper ones.

Had new coilpack, cam and crank sensor, MAF, lambda, blue temp. etc. etc. pretty much new everything, and abosultely perfect until slight misfire.

The spark is really strong when take lead off and attach lead (any lead) but seems very keen to track the spark from the metal lead holder bit at end to the bodywork.

Only ever had the NGK twin electrode plugs, the ones where the spark is meant to jump down the insulation if you know what I mean, I'm starting to suspect them, anyone had probs?

You can't measure the gap with a normal feeler guage as goes from the insulation to tip not tip to tip.

Gap too big? Spark trouble jumping to insulation?

Only got the NGK's as heard came out factory with these.

Anyone tried any other good plugs with tradition electrode tips?

Hard Bosch's getting a right slagging on here I think.

Cheers think I'll try the single electrode ones, never had probs with NGK's in past on different cars, but never liked the idea of the spark travelling down the insulation but assumed NGK know what their doing.

Anyone know what the gap should be but can't really measure or adjust with normal gapping tool or feeler as go to rounded insulation.

I think the gap is too big or something, or does'nt like running down insulation, spark is strong as hell, was jumping over an inch to bodywork. Can spark be too strong, and track through any insulation?

Yes looks like was plugs, Europarts and CTS do the single electrode ones but hav'nt had chance to get there in opening hours so took number 2 out, which seemed to be the slightly misfiring one, and gap prong to electrode clearly more than 0.7, difficult to measure but I'd say 1.0 or more, did'nt even try adjusting, put an old plug in that seemed closer to 0.7 (still the NGK twin electrode)though a little big and no misfire.

I'll get set of single electrodes on weekend and expecting it to go better again, plus can check and adjust the gap on these perfectly, any time.

The plugs have only been in couple of thousand miles or so, colour/condition of them perfect, was slight misfire not total, but deffo will be avoiding them in future.