daniboy1_2_3

Yet more ABS questions :0

Hi there ive spent hours reading through abs related posts on this site and have just got myself a new hardback bentley manual at the eye watering price of £72 from amazon. If I stood on it id be about 8 foot tall, quite a beast!. Anyway I still have a few questions. The car is a 1995 VR6, is there any easy way of establishing which abs system my car has? There appear to be two types and im not sure which i have.

The Yellow light of doom as been mocking me for months now and seeing as though I need to investigate a knocking noise coming from the front and replace track rods and ball joints before having my camber set I thought id look into the abs issue whilst the front end is in bits. The light stays on no matter what and from what ive gathered this could likely be something more serious that just a sensor/rotor problem.

From what ive read the abs module can be checked for error codes, is this the case for my car and if so what do I need to check it myself and where would I get that equipment from?. Is there any way of resetting the light other than with a fault code reader?.

What ive found so far is that the drivers side rotor is bent and corroded badly so im going to have to change it. This leads me to my next question, are aftermarket rotors up to the job along with aftermarket

Sensors? Any aftermarket manufacturer s better than others or worth avoiding?

Im waiting to hear back from my local vw parts guy but it looks like the sensors are obsolete and the rotors are going to cost a fortune. Would appreciate any help on this, thanks.

The rotors usually come as part of the hub, I don't know whether they are available separately. You'll have to take the hub off to change the rotor anyway, so you'll end up having to change the front wheel bearing beacase it will almost certainly be destroyed when you press the hub out.

I would be surprised if the ABS sensors are obsolete; look on ebay.

Best wishes

RB

Hi there ive spent hours reading through abs related posts on this site and have just got myself a new hardback bentley manual at the eye watering price of £72 from amazon. .

it was you that bought the last one from amazon... was just about to order it and its gone up last week to £89

There are plenty of aftermarket sensors available but according to my local vw parts department that sensor is obsolete through them. Im not sure of the quality of any of these aftermarket sensors though, maybe someone with experience of them can comment?.

As for the rotor I know they can be seperated from the hub and have a separate part number, just waiting to hear back from vw om that one, has anyone bought an aftermarket rotor for the front?.

Yes it must have been me getting in before you, shocked that the price has gone up further! Expensive enough already. It is a great resource though and beats trawling through a disc!.

Would someone be kind enough to at least point me in the direction of whether or not I can actually read abs fault codes on my car?. If so what equipment is needed to do the job properly? Cheers.

I think you can read the ABS ecu with the vagcom stuff, I have the VCDS lite from rosstech and the ebay lead, but had a bit of a time trying to get it setup and read properly. Tbh i gave up and plan to try it another day.

Thanks for the feedback jim. What problems were you having? Is it a usb lead that your plugging into the abs ecu or a serial connection?. I assumed id be plugging into the obd port near the gearstick? Do you actually plug straight onto the abs ecu and if so how do I get at that?. Is there anyone who has bought there own equipment and successfuly read the abs codes?

Yeah, it plugs into the bit by the gearstick and reads from there, then to USB on laptop.

It was just setting up the com ports and some other settings i came unstuck on, but i gave up really easy and didn't have a major problem that needed solving.

Was a thread on here about it, latency setting or something

"To get vagcom to communicate with the ABS ECU you will need to set the latency to 5 for the com port you are using. Go into device manager on your pc and under ports select the port you are using for Vagcom and I think you have to go into advanced settings and change the latency setting to 5. This should cure the problem."

just found that from a thread i was using, i never actually tried this bit ^^^

On my car atleast every ABS issue I have had has been sensor related. If you have a multimeter, the first thing to do is check the resistance of each sensory. For the front ones there are connectors either side of the front towers in the engine bay, for the rear ones there should be connectors under your rear seat. The resistance should be around 1-1.5k ohms from memory. If they are all approx that and all about the same then it's not the sensors, but it will most likely be one (or more) of the 4 that are kaput, and will have a different resistance. I got my front ones off ebay, but search on here for the right make to go for (there are 2 I think, one of which is the same as VW supply, the other isnt). Try and stick with the correct make if possible. Rear ones are more expensive and again check for makes.

Just found this from the search menu.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=4948&highlight=vagcom

Have a look at pages 1, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16.

Pages 1 through to 11 are of fault codes and what types of VWCOM with work with what,

pages 15 and 16 are of the ABS system.

There's good detail in that thread link above regarding VR6, G60, and 16s with the VAGCOM,

what works with what, and details of the 16pin and 2x2 diagnostic plugs.

The front and rear ABS speed sensors have been obsolete now for a few years with the VW Dealers,

but you can purchase them from good after market suppliers,

like AVS http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado_brakes.php

The ABS speed sensors these guys supply are made by MEYLE for front and rear.

Again some here on EBAY

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Front-ABS-Speed-Sensors-Left-Right-O-S-N-S-1J0927803-1J0927804-mk3-mk4-golf-/321033825600?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item4abf1b6d40

Or you can spend a bit more money and go for one that is close to the original.

FRONT RIGHT. Made by REDLINE

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-53I-Coupe-Intermotor-Front-Right-ABS-Sensor-Genuine-Replacement-Part-/301004547499?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item461544e5ab

FRONT LEFT. Made by REDLINE

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-53I-Coupe-Intermotor-Front-Left-ABS-Sensor-Genuine-Replacement-Part-/301004551046?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item461544f386

Regarding the front hub ABS speed ring I think the guys above are correct,

you normally can only purchase this complete with the front hub unit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171116116221?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fdsa.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D171116116221%26_rdc%3D1

The front face of the ABS sensor has to be able to sense the ABS ring passing it,

if it's covered in dirt or brake dust or small metal filings,

then this can affect it's performance.

This is because the ABS sensor has a copper coil winding with in it,

which creates a megnectic pull so when the metal ABS ring passes the ABS sensor face,

it pulsates on and off.

Like this TOOTH = ON, GAP = OFF hence on, off, on, off and so on.

This is very similar to how other sensors work like the Crank sensor and the Cam Shaft Position sensor,

they also have a ring with teeth or in the Cam Shaft sensor type a Continuous contact surface,

with just the one or two gaps that make it pulsate.

Hope this helps.

Si

Great input thanks everybody! Im pretty familiar now with how the system is supposed to work after lookimg into it and now im looking for the correct equipment to read these codes for myself.

Ill have a good read through the links youve posted thanks.

The abs speed sensor rotors are still available from vw for the very reasonable price of £10 so ive purchased two as ive noticed the ones fitted are slightly bent and pretty corroded. Im not will to destroy my good wheel bearings just yet though in fitting them before some fault finding has taken place.