Sign in to follow this  
chuck

Modding suspension.

Hello all,

I'm putting eibach springs and roll bars in next week. Just thought I'd pick the brains of those that have done it before.

Basically I have lowering springs, new bump stops all round, and roll bars. I intend to keep OE shocks, but am unsure of what condition they are in.

Several questions springto mind right now.

1/ how do i tell if the shock is knackered?

2/ what tools do I need to change springs - I made a crude drop nose spanner and no 7(??) allen key for the front strut tops of the scirocco.

3/ How do you get at the rear strut tops - does the parcel shelf bit need to come off - if so, how do you remove the forwardmost bolt????

4/ how do the front strut tops be removed? I heard somewhere that they're a git to do.

5/ Do I need to cut the bump stops on account of me lowering the car? They're powerflex bump stops.

Any other points to bear in mind would be appreciated.

I should be able to nip down to GSF if i need new shocks or top mounts. (are the GSF shocks gas filled??)

Thanks

Bump.

About to jack it up now.

need to know how to get at the rear strut top (the trim with speaker on it doesn't want to come off!!)

Also how to notice a knackered shocker.

Do the new Powerflex bump stops need cut??

Thanks in anticipation

i have low springs on stock shocks and i'll say this.. replace your shocks. you'll bugger up your mounts and you'll get wheel hop through bumpy corners like a mofo.

i'm gettin bilstiens with stiff valving or koni yellows v soon. if you have the cash right now, i'd buy one of those two right now to save pulling it all apart again a little while from now.

Don't have money for new shocks. Eibach are meant to be designed for std shocks, so hopefully won't be the worst lowering springs to put on them. ARB should help too.

Anyway, I now have car on stands and am trying to remove rear struts. The tops are easy, but I am having trouble wth the lower bolt. There's a clip inside, but this looks to just hold nut in position for turning bolt.

I can turn bolt, but requires a long spanner and a jack!!!! Is it reverse thread by any chance?

Is there anything else I should know about this bolt before i try again??

Id get top mounts also. they take the brunt of impact and never stand up to new stuff around them.

just wind out the bottom bolt. its long n mine were tight i just had to wind it all the way out.

A few knuckles later and its all done. Top mounts (rears!!) and front shocks later and I'm pretty happy.

Anyway. one niggle. The front looks way too high now. The rears came down nicely, but the front sits up a bit.

Thinking of getting a set of lowering caps which should bring it down just the right amount. 8)

Any pros/cons I should know about before I buy them?

For info I have Boge gas shocks, Eibach springs and roll bars, and powerflex bumpstops at front.

did you put in VR6 front mounts? they sit higher than stock G60 mounts... this is why i'm sticking with G60 front mounts instead of using the superior VR6 front mounts..

Hi all

I have just put 17" wheels on and with the standard shocks and the body higth has risen a bit. how many of you have done both wheels and droped, and how many have left the normal hight with 17" rims.

james