7onny

Steering column wobble

Hi. I have quite abit of play in my steering column, iv read about the polo column swap and it's something I'll be sticking my teeth into in the summer, but until then, has anyone had any success bolting/fixing the adjustable corrado column together to get rid of the Woolley feeling?

Thanks.

Yep.. I had to do some modifications to get through the MOT this year. Am out at the minute but will post up details / links later when I get home.

Awesome cheers. Jim if you could get me some pics aswell that would be great. The more Iv got to go on the better.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I never took any pictures, but the guide that Cazza has linked to has a few in. It's pretty straightforward, and to be honest I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Corrado DIY - I didn't even own a drill so had to go and buy one to do the modification! But with the bolt and nut in place (as well as a few washers) it tightened up the whole column really nicely - the MOT tester hopped in the car for the retest and said "Ahh - that's a LOT better. I'm happy with that.." so it definitely did the job!

The added bonus is that if you're careful how you drill, the mod is just about reversible so you could fix it for the MOT and put it back again if you really need the adjustable column - fortunately for me at the adjusted height, it's pretty much bang on how I angle the column anyway so I've kept it in place :)

Unfortunately I never took any pictures, but the guide that Cazza has linked to has a few in. It's pretty straightforward, and to be honest I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Corrado DIY - I didn't even own a drill so had to go and buy one to do the modification! But with the bolt and nut in place (as well as a few washers) it tightened up the whole column really nicely - the MOT tester hopped in the car for the retest and said "Ahh - that's a LOT better. I'm happy with that.." so it definitely did the job!

The added bonus is that if you're careful how you drill, the mod is just about reversible so you could fix it for the MOT and put it back again if you really need the adjustable column - fortunately for me at the adjusted height, it's pretty much bang on how I angle the column anyway so I've kept it in place :)

I did that mod and basically it's still adjustable, just set it to whatever step you want for height then tigh ten the bolt down to set it there, the bolts replacing the spring lock mechanism, and therefore removing any movement in it. I'd forget about the Polo column, if yours is in good nick this will remove any movement and still gave any height you want.

If you look at the after photo on the link there still be slight movement left but if you use a bolt threaded all the way, and use 3 nuts to clamp it both sides of the metal like I did there\ll be none. I also ground that dome bit of so would clamp down flat there.

Hat's off to bloke who posted original idea, brilliant, simple mod.