Sign in to follow this  
ZackM8

2004 R32 Vs. 1990 G60

ZackM8 - The R32 isn't all that quick for sure but it's the usual VW method of selling us short. Take the new MK5 Gti for example. 2.0 FSi turbo, 200 bhp. Is that all? In a big heavy car? FFS, Vauxhall are putting that power in an 800Kg roadster. Wake up VW........

Coulldn't agree more.

I think it's because VW always run their engines in a far more de-tuned state than they can actually handle. Hence why their reliability (in standard form) is highly regarded.

We all know the VR6 is a tough engine, and could quite easily handle more power (like a supercharger :evil: ) without blowing up.

Likewise with the 1.8T - 150bhp (or 180) in standard form from a 20v turbo? Thats only about 11bhp than a N/A MK2 16V!

The G60 can crank out 190bhp safely, but VW decided to play it safe with a smaller pulley and keep it at 160bhp

And so on :?

well yeah ok, but i would choose r 32 over a corrado but then again i have both, when you drive them back to back there is no comparison.

I have dropped 4 Motions at the lights, but I'd heard that a 'rado VR6 was pretty much on a par with the R32 at the lights. My 'rado VR6 is still main dealer serviced (I enjoy pissing away money!) and VW's own service manager still says that the 'rado is a better car to drive. At the end of the day the roads are too damn busy to be racing on in 200hp cars, so the 'rado wins every time - it is a 'special' car to drive, even if not travelling quite as quickly as the podgy R32. I don't think anyone who's driven the R32 has ever said it was a 'special' car to drive.

:x

Andi, the forum admin, would probably say it was special. He was soooo close to buying one :)

Yea I was very dissapointed with the R32, but as for the WRX my brother has a 2004 wrx it's quick but it was nothing terriably special.... I guess its jsut the shock of getting 40ish + out of first that makes it seem so nice.... thats the only thing thou.... jap gear boxs vrs. euro gear boxs, my brother thinks im jsut making up excuses but jap cars are made to go 0-60 end of story them stop getting impressive after that, euro gear boxes much like the one in the corrado are very slow compared to jap gear box..... but once you red line 2nd and hit 3rd you jsut look back and say "see ya later" rados were truely made to travel and be smooth at high speeds. So basically if your toasting a japense car off the line and they arnt ahead by the time you hit 3rd they are screwed, and if you r up to speed there hopless....dunno if you guys know this but it is a fun little fact, if you take any other car and are going down the road and you both shift into 5th doing 20mph and see who gets to 110mph first the g60 corrado will beat almost any car that way and any VW easily, it beats the vr6 by roughly 6 seconds :D stock that is