Mouser

'Oil' light flashing and beeping.

Hi there guys,

For a week or two now my oil light has been coming on and beeping and annoying the **** out of me. The car is 96 reg VR6 standard engine, 66k mileage.

There seems to be no pattern to it coming on, it may be prolonged use and when cruising at a set speed, as it stops SOMETIMES when i put my foot down.

- Checked the oil, healthy colour, healthy level. Getting it changed next week as part of a mechanical novices trial and error program.

- The engine will not be getting cooled as much as i'd like to as the previous owner has left me with a rusty old cone filter, so reverting back to a standard set-up box on payday.

- The car was sat for a number of years before returning to daily use.

I can't say i've noticed what revs or conditions trigger it. I'm no mechanic so could use a little advice here.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Mouser

as its random I would replace the oil pressure switch's , you have two, one gets triggered for low pressure which I belive just makes the oil light flash, and then the other is for high pressure which also flashs but beeps, so with that I would look at the high pressure switch on the oil filter housing and make sure the wiring connections are good and not corroded or in need of repair...

Very low oil level normally makes it flash when you stop hard - the oil sloshes around and uncovers the pump pickup which gives you momentary low pressure. The pumps have a filter screen on that can get blocked up - fingers crossed it isn't small pieces if your lower tensioner rail ;)

Cone filter won't affect cooling...

If the buzzer is sounding then it indicates that your oil temp is high. Did you check the temp on the MFA. What was the water temp running at? You might have a cooling problem.

Oil pressure drops with an increase in temperature. Get the oil hot enough and the buzzer will sound. It's worth noting what the oil temp is when it's buzzing just to eliminate any cooling issues.

Thanks for all the replies guys, its going in to the garage tomorrow and i've mentioned what i think the problem could be.

It seems to come on at 110, should it be going that high?

If your oil temp is at 110 then that isn't high enough to cause pressure problems. If that's your water temp then your oil temps will be higher.