rodmax

9A to ABF conversion

Hi

I'm after a little help.I've ended up with a late 16v mk3 golf (been bumped in the front) so the car is being broken up.

but i want too swap the 9a in my corrado for the abf complete with the ABF management.

So i'm hoping some one on here has done swap can just clarify what need to be done ref the wiring.

thanks Rod

Club GTI forum is the best place for that chap, quite a few people have swapped ABFs into mk2's and there's a guide I think.

I've done this swap.

Retain the complete ABF engine loom back to the CE2 fusebox.

Plug it in to the fusebox, along with the security loop from the ignition barrel and the box that drives that.

IIRC the only thing you might need to do is add a power feed for the immobiliser box, I think.

Thanks for the replies.

I have been on the club gti forum,as you said lots of mk2 info, but not to much corrado info,so all i need to do is strip back the abf loom

and end up with the engine only section.then it should plug in.sounds straight forward enough.

the 9a is sold, will let you know,i it falls through.

all i need to do is strip back the abf loom

'all'. Yeah. You might like to see if you can use the complete engine bay wiring harness, because it's a PITA to separate the rest from the engine's loom. I would actually adapt the headlight plugs if necessary rather than take apart the lights and wipers from the engine harness. It should all be on the same plugs on the CE2 anyway.

Also make sure you retain the speedo wiring - it's in the engine harness, because of the location of the sensor plug.

There *probably* will be detail differences, just be careful as you work and also get the motor and loom in and fire it up before finalising. Make sure everything runs right and then pull the motor and loom and complete the loom wrap. You'll need the brake servo out to swap the loom, too.

If I did it again I'd also pick up a 4-branch from TSR - it accommodates the ABF's taller block:

http://www.tsr-performance.com/webshop/exhaust-manifolds/4-1-exhaust-manifolds-naturally-aspirated/tsr-mk2-golf-2-0-16v-abf-4-branch-stainless-manifold-tsrgolfabfmani-abf-2-0-16v/

When we've dynoed ABFs with 4-branches on they've come out around 170bhp - they breathe well and the tubular manifold will really help the cause.

I also have a 6kg flywheel on mine - picks up better.

Thanks for the info.i had planned on a lightened flywheel.will look into the manifolds

I've read the standard manifold flows just as well as a 4 branch, also read them tsr 4 branch's dont clear the bulkhead of the corrado....I could be wrong though. I've done an abf conversion on mine but went from a kr not a 9a and also kept the kjet.

Thanks for the info for the manifold.

still striping out the wiring from the golf ,what fun!!