Super-G

G60 Power Steering Pump

My power steering pump started making a knocking noise so I've replaced it with a newish looking one I found at the scrap yard on a mk3 petrol golf cabriolet. The pulley spacing is correct so I thought it'd be perfect. I've flushed the fluid, as I had red in there, and replaced it with the correct green fluid. Now my steering makes an awful groaning noise when turning, which increases with revs or steering movement. I wonder if I might have an airlock in the pump, but also wonder if it runs a different pressure. Does anyone know what could be causing this issue? I know people say the pump is specific for the G60, but thought that was just to do with the pulley spacing. Does it actually run a different pressure?

MK4's run a higher pressure but a mk3 item should be ok I think...

Did you prime it properly before running the engine? they sometimes take a bit of driving to settle down and get all the air out the system, find a car park and do some lock to locks etc...