jayjay73

This corrosion... replace or refurb?

Had a little look underneath this morning and found 3 areas of unsightly rust...

IMAG0141_01_zpsa30709cd.jpg

and

IMAG0140_01_zps73582eb7.jpg

The sump I think I can sand down and repaint but the control arm and axle shaft look a bit more challenging... given my limited mechanical prowess I am going to have to get a garage involved. Is it more economic / advisable to get replacement parts fitted, or pay to get these stripped and powder coated? :scratch: Any trusted workshops in South Yorkshire area that anyone can recommend? Thanks.

All easy to fix up mate just remove and get them blasten and powder coated , probs get away with hammeriting them if you wanted to thats how i did my sump

Cheers - it is the "just remove" bit that worries me, given I have never attempted anything that adventurous and probably don't have the tools to do it, and most likely will make a balls of it... Hence the garage recommendation request. Am off to Wickes to get some Hammerstein and will see how I go.

You should be ok Jay.

Use some thinners to clean your brushes if you use Hammerite paint or when you have done bin the brush.

As for doing the job wire brush on a drill or a hand brush to clean the loose rust off.

I would go for a couple of coats of paint should be good for a few years then.

Might be able to do the wish bones etc with the wheels removed, not quite sure though.

When are you thinking of starting it btw?

Cheers Ray. Have got wire brush fitting for drill and will give it a whirl tomorrow... Think the wishbone is accessible with the wheel off. Discs are also a little corroded around the circumference so will give them a quick once over too.

You still 4x4 btw? I was looking at Koni str.t kit recently but have not done anything about it.

You still 4x4 btw? I was looking at Koni str.t kit recently but have not done anything about it.

Yes i 'm still riding high. can't make my mind up tbh standard 4x4 or a little tad lower?

Discs are also a little corroded around the circumference so will give them a quick once over

I wouldn't paint the edges of the discs though, just a clean up.

I would just paint the control arms up for now, and keep look out for some second hand. That you can have powdercoated and new bushes pressed yourself. Then just giving to a garage to have them fitted.