maff

Stealth top end rebuild

Hi all, before I give stealth a call I was wondering if anybody else has had a top end rebuild and did it include the chains or tensioners being replaced?

I have a receipt for a top end rebuild from stealth in with the receipts which was done at 96,000 and now the car has done 140,000. I get a bit of noise from the top of the engine when cold at 2000rpm which goes when the oil is warm but after seeing the damage a broken top tensioner does I might whip the top cover off to have a look at the top tensioner.

In the stealth receipt it just says top end rebuild and some prices for cam followers and a coil pack but no mention of chains or tension pads, I'm assuming they havn't been done?

Pretty sure that top end on mine at stealth included chains and tensioners, but recall that stealth now use a mk 4 hold tensioner as there we've durability issues with the original....

Thanks, its a strange one as all the receipt states is top end overhaul and no mention of a head gasket set or anything, surely the head had to come off? or maybe they just refreshed the cam followers and seals etc.

The noise isn't too bad either but i'm all paranoid now thinking about the chains, i think i'll email stealth and see what they say.

They did a set price of £1550 + vat I think (- probably gone up a bit now) for chains / tensioners / clutch / head rebuild.

If it was that sort of money i'd say yes but give Vince a call...

The bill i have is a total of well over a £1000 but that includes a coil pack and a temperature gauge some cam followers and a few other bits, the head rebuild is just described as 'Head rebuild' and a price of £750? maybe the chains and tensioner looked okay at 95,000 miles?

I've been spoilt coming from a silky smooth rebuilt engine i reckon! i'll give em a call

Yeah i thought he would have it on his system somewhere, it was done in 2007 mileage 196,309, might be a time consuming phone call if vince has to search back, he must of done quite a few! ill send him an email i think, theres no mad rush.

I've just sent them an email, fingers crossed the chains have been done

Hi Matthew

The chains / tensioners were not done at the time of the head.

Rpm box for manifold is £95 plus vat.

Manifold fitting £150 plus vat.

Custom Ecu remap £275 plus vat.

Regards

Vince.

Git an a swift email back from stealth and unfortunately the chains were not done so that explains the chattering type noise at 1500-200rpm under load then, funnily went out in the car yesterday and it was really quiet but today was a bit noisier, but engine is silent above 2500rpm?