emu

VR6 PCV Valve Grey Connector - No Pins

This is what I discovered today. My connector before PCV valve has no pins. Its just a tube not doing anything. I have a loom and connector for it but what is it for if the grey bit doesn't do anything ??

Its for a 1995 VR6

pcv_5.jpg

Funny you should mention that. My original one was leaking, so bought a second hand one off someone on here. I noticed that the replacement had no pins in it, so the plug pushed onto it wouldn't be doing anything whereas the original presumably was.

Just a thought though, is there any relationship to the air intake temp? Vagcom shows my air intake temp as permanently open circuit, but it defo has a sensor on the inlet manifold itself which is good. Related at all?

Edited by Tigerfish
blah

I believe it's the position and loom for some sort of cold start heater thing for cooler climes our something to stop ice forming in the intake, on uk ones it's just a blank.

Funny you should mention that. My original one was leaking, so bought a second hand one off someone on here. I noticed that the replacement had no pins in it, so the plug pushed onto it wouldn't be doing anything whereas the original presumably was.

As GusPW said, it's just a heater element we don't have in the UK.

Just a thought though, is there any relationship to the air intake temp? Vagcom shows my air intake temp as permanently open circuit, but it defo has a sensor on the inlet manifold itself which is good. Related at all?

Have you checked the plugs are the right way round...

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=40560

As above, it's just a place to stow the harness. I cut mine off ;)

In very cold weather it's to stop oil condensing out of the PCV vapour so it gets (correctly) sucked into the throttle body and burned, rather than running down the inlet elbow into the MAF. It's only on for a few minutes after starting the engine, by which time the bay is provably hot enough not to bother.

Tigerfish: the IAT sensor is a threaded metal can with a similar 2-pin connected, located on the right-hand side of the upper inlet manifold looking at it from the front. It's partially hidden by the engine plastics but look behind the fuel rail pressure regulator and you'll find it easily enough :)

Stone

Edited by Stonejag

Tigerfish: the IAT sensor is a threaded metal can with a similar 2-pin connected, located on the right-hand side of the upper inlet manifold looking at it from the front. It's partially hidden by the engine plastics but look behind the fuel rail pressure regulator and you'll find it easily enough :)

Stone

Thanks stone. Yeah, I changed the sensor last year due to the vagcom error code, but it still remained. The thread mentioned earlier could well be it though, with the wiring connected up wrongly.

I wonder why some VR's have the heater element, and others don't, if it is for colder climes (colder than ours I assume).

That is an interesting thread, I will double check :)

Well, swapped the plugs over and the vagcom code cleared. Drove around and the fan actually works on the low speed now. Couldn't get it to kick in on the full speed setting but assume that should still work eventually (as it was working before). Result :)