VR6 Lee

Power steering pump

Ordered part from VW, £282.90 originally £314.30. This price is for me to bring my old one back otherwise they will have to charge me £314.30. Thank god I kept it.

Part number has the 'x' at the end so the man says at VW.

Fingers/Toes crossed that it works.. if its noisey i'm going to be pretty pi****

Well in my experience it's pumps, more specifically the relief valve in the pumps, the pumps themselves can wear and leak but the noise is caused by the relief valve sticking and the pump straining against a closed rack, a recon pump may have wear in the relief valve drilling in the pump body causing the valve to operate incorrectly.

of course it's not impossible for a pipe or rack to become partially blocked and should a rack valve fail then I'd imagine the pump relief valve would shut and deliver pressure as if you were turning and then make some noise.

Good to hear. Mine goes in on Wednesday for another go at sorting it out!

Well just in case anyone needed reminding, or a second opinion on this.. DG Autotech just removed the brand new (and groaning) Q-Drive pump from my Corrado and fitted a second hand VW unit (thanks VAG-hag!) and immediately the noises have gone away and it's working nice and quietly as it should.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Never buying Q-Drive ****e again! Will be going back to ECP for a refund ASAP.

Relieved for it to be sorted finally. And yeah - Chris is a top guy :)

Took my spare pump to bits. Quite a bit going on inside. Am not too sure it will go back together again now.

How much is a new vw one?

£242 but you must bring your old one back in to get it at that price otherwise its £314

And it must be a genuine one that you bring back

And it must be a genuine one that you bring back

Yep.. They look for a VW stamp but I had to say to them that ZF made them for VW without the VW stamp.. Lucky for me they believed me as I give them a lot of business