andygal

Corrado VR6 Steering Rack

Hi,

I appreciate this has been covered a lot but despite hours of searching I cant seem to find a definitive answer. I am looking for a new steering rack for my 1994 VR6 and wanting to know what ones are compatible.

On my car currently : 1H2 422 061A - This is also listed by Etka as correct one (RHD, TRW, Variation is 061AX which is refurbished)

Euro Car Parts list : 603440950 - This is a ZF rack so I understand it is not the one I am after (fitted to US Spec cars)

Euro Car Parts list for Mk3 Golf VR6 - 603440970 (Which is a Remy DSR635(L) rack). Having cross referenced this, it shows up with the same part number as the VR6 so I assume this is the correct one but just want some conformation?

Thanks, Andy

Update : I tried to order the Golf VR6 rack from Euro Car Parts (Remy DSR635) but they were out of stock and couldnt get one in apparently. Offered to send my rack away for refurb but at a cost of £180!

I have therefore ordered one from GSF. Was £330 minus a 20% discount and then £130 back when you return the old rack so is working out at £130 for anyone that is interested.

Thanks, Andy

Cool - good information. Keep us posted on how you get on. It's all these sorts of parts that are getting steadily harder to find.

I do think refurbishers is a good way to go on some stuff, provided you can find good / reliable ones as ultimately all this stuff is all the same using the same sorts of fittings and things, just all packaged a little differently.

from what I recall the Corrado VR6 rack is different to the mk3 VR rack, I have a mk3 VR rack and it's definitely of the type fitted to 4 cylinder corrados, but with the longer track rods, the Corrado VR rack is a cast alloy body, the others are pressed steel, it may be that they are interchangeable because a long way back one of the forum members fitted a new seat Ibiza cupra rack to his VR which had the same part number as the 2.016v corrado

My advice would be to buy a recon rack from GSF. I bought a 2nd hand one but have had nothing but problems (see my Amos Motors thread in General Chat).

Ended up having to buy one from GSF and is perfect, quick delivery etc...really happy with it!

Thanks, Andy

Nice one Andy I'll get on to them 2moro just read your thread in general chat cheeky swines. I actually phoned Glasgow power steering first thing this morning the lady on the phone took my details and said she would get someone to phone me back no phone call. I'll just get a recon

Cheer's Andy

James.