Sign in to follow this  
junbao

German licence plates

Dubmeister sell the plates, whit on the front and yellow at the back i think the spacing is almost legal as well but they are still pressed metal plates all german stylee, £40 good deal i rekon. I think the only real things the coppers can do you for is the fact that the plates arent reflective which is a requirement here

Not true. Almost everything about a German style plate contravenes the current numberplate regulations; size, colour, material, reflectiveness, lack of BS-approval, missing manufacturere postcode.

The regs (for anyone interested) are here : http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010561.htm#6

If you don't get stopped with them fitted to your car it's because they feds just can't be arsed to stop you for that, but if you are stopped for any other reason you can expect a vehicle defect notice (which means you effectively have to re-MOT the car) + a £30 fine to be added on top of anything else they hit you with.

HTH,

John

i got mine from germanplates.com think there the cheapest place about.

all being well i should be getting quite a few german style plate surrounds, which i will be selling cheaper than other places i ve seen, so if your after some check the classifieds in a week or so.

if you get a vehicle defect notice you have to have the car checked by a mot station that the defect has been rectified, that does not mean you have to effectively get a re-mot.

No, but the MOT station can charge you anything up to the full MOT fee for the inspection which is required, as they have to certificate the car etc. I've seen this discussed on other forums (not VW ones) where people have had to get this done.

Like you say, there are quite a lot of guys who seem to use them permenantly but you have to be aware of the possible pitfalls eh?

John

Dubmeister sell the plates, whit on the front and yellow at the back i think the spacing is almost legal as well but they are still pressed metal plates all german stylee, £40 good deal i rekon. I think the only real things the coppers can do you for is the fact that the plates arent reflective which is a requirement here

Not true. Almost everything about a German style plate contravenes the current numberplate regulations; size, colour, material, reflectiveness, lack of BS-approval, missing manufacturere postcode.

The regs (for anyone interested) are here : http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010561.htm#6

If you don't get stopped with them fitted to your car it's because they feds just can't be arsed to stop you for that, but if you are stopped for any other reason you can expect a vehicle defect notice (which means you effectively have to re-MOT the car) + a £30 fine to be added on top of anything else they hit you with.

HTH,

John

I stand corrected

Hay - no problem. It's better to find out here than argue at the roadside with Officer Dibble :)

ive seen some of these german style plates but with a gb logo in them instead, still pressed steel and still the same font, a bit cheeky but prob less likeley to get pulled than with german lgo on them, so kinda german english plates :D

You can get both a yellow GB and yellow D euro-german plate. If you want to be on the safe side go for a yellow GB rear, and white D front.