guildmage

Wanted: Steering Rack (2.0 16V)

Does anyone have steering rack for a 1995 Corrado 16V 2.0? (also, is this a big job to replace?)

Just testing waters here as my car is loosing pas fluid. I've started my car and there was this very unusual dry metallic noise from the engine when using steering wheel. Then I've noticed low level of pas fluid and a bit of an embarrassing leak under the car!

My usual mechanic is on holiday but went to other garage and they told me it is most likely seal on the steering rack, and that the rack need to be replaced.

They quoted me £390 (labor + parts) but ... I'm right in the middle of house purchase so timing couldn't be better really :(

I was told to top-up the pas fluid meanwhile. So, I got 1L Tripple QX (Hydaulic Power Steering Fluid) from EuroCarParts. Me, being super suspicious... is this fluid really OK to use? (they swore it is the green stuff and not red!)

thanks,

ps. that's the fluid I got:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79518[/ATTACH]

i had a leak on my rack. was getting through about a litre per month! i swapped the whole thing out but i swear it was just due to a missing or perished rubber o ring where the pipes seat. might be worth a go, they were pennies off ebay. its a bit cramped under there but it think you could get to it and replace those without removing the whole rack. i think there's a guide to doing the rack swap if you google. also im sure the green fluid is right.