2.016V

Replacing heater matrix

I am in the process of removing my heater matrix, I have the dash out and and all ready to go, I have undone the top nut in the engine bay for the heater unit but the bottom one is just spinning (nut and thread) .someone has said that it unscrews from the rear from the plastic housing but I can't seem to gather what they mean.

Anyone else experienced this, any ideas?

Mine did the same the plastic will have broken on the heaterbox. If you have undone the top one fully and the one behind the header tank the whole heatrbox should pull out

So this means the heater box can be removed but what about when you put it back in? Is the mounting point lost?

You can either try removing the bolt etc with the heaterbox out of the way (more access) or as i did just push the heaterbox back onto the stud and do the other two bolts up. Ive had no nasty vibrations doing it this way and the way the centre console is bolted in theres very little chance of movement anyway.

IDeally id like mine to go back in properly. Im not worried about rattling, i would just like to have a nice shiny bolt back in its place..

It can probably be extracted mate but you will see if yours is like mine the nut you have to get hold of inside the car is the slimmest nut known to man and then you need someone in the engine bay removing the bolt (mine was rusted to hell and no chance of removing without snapping it off. Then you'll have to glue the thread back into the plastic of the heaterbox which has no thread left in it as the thread has worn away.

As said though yours might be alright but the two i have done have both been the same.

So the thread is just turning inside the plastic housing, do I need to undo it from the engine bay with someone pulling the heater box from inside at the same time, so after I'm just left with the bolt thread still in the bulkhead?

Its turning inside the plastic of the heaterbox so pulling on the heaterbox from the inside should pull the stud out of the plastic

Thanks mate, i think iv still got a fair bit of thread to undo so will get someone to yank from the other side as I'm doing it