stretch.

Early 16v Water Pump Pulley Upgrade

Evening All,

I've got an early valver with the split pulleys, I had the inner pulley welded a few years ago, but unfortunately the welds have now broke loose and by god does it now sound like a bag of spanners.

Am I right in thinking I can just swap the water pump pulley out for a later one, or this one and fit a later aux belt?

Cheers guys,

No, the power steering pump has a different hub offset and I'm sure the crank pulley for the steering is different too, you need all the late 16v bits, I've seen new 1.8 slip pulleys on eBay though IRO £50 I think

After working every hour under the sun (and some under the moon too!) I'm back to trying to fix this, I've found 2x part numbers.

027 121 020: Appears to be the right one, but umpteen places say it's not.

027 121 031: No.

And I've tried every variation I can think of to try and hunt them down; slip pulleys, double pulleys, idler pulleys, dumb waiter pulleys, night out on the pulleys, and even just KR Water pump pulley.

Someone please put me out of my misery...

Depending on the exact build date early valvers can have the early or late pulley arrangements, if you can get good pictures of what you currently gave I can tell you what you need, but I reckon the twin pulley from vw heritage in your link is the one you will need

Well mine is G reg, registered 31st March 1990, most of the parts have '89 Manufacturing stamps ("West German" yo)

Some snaps:

bHK4Bzq6.jpg FfAw30R4.jpg J10jRYSv.jpg

And I've just noticed that it looks like the lower cambelt cover has broken... nice.

same as mine then, simplest option is to buy a new 'slip pulley' from vw hertitage, if you weld up the existing waterpump slip pulley again it may wear the belt, it clearly needs to drive slightly differently to the deflected alternator/waterpump drive pulleys