Sign in to follow this  
Will

Bent ABS rings

Stripped down the front suspension on my VR6 last weekend to paint up the callipers and change the ball joints etc but noticed the ABS ring behind the hub is warped (both sides) and catches on the sensor when it spins. Is there any way of getting the hub off without the 6 or 7 tools Bentley shows? Has anyone made something up for the task?

Also the disk locating screws (again both sides) have been snapped off and not replaced by the muppet who worked on the car before I had it. I'm planning to drill them out and re-tap the thread but wondered how important they are as it would save me a lot of hassle to leave them as they are...

Cheers for any advice.

you can drive the hub out with a hammer, but this will wreck the bearings.

just try and lever the abs ring straight.

might be worth buying some new bearings (about £15) and a new hub (about £19 from GSF) and have them replaced.

As Phat says for the first one... 8)

The disk locating screws are just to make life easier when fitting the wheel to the car... make sure that the new disks have the hole where the screw should be though, else you may find that the disks don't sit flush on the hub and so cause a vibration during braking... :?

That's hopeful anyway, at least if i have probs drilling it I won't need a new hub as don't really fancy getting into front bearings etc unless I have to. Will try to lever the ring, guess I'll get error codes if the ABS isn't working proberly....

Cheers for your help.

Did you have any luck straightening the rings?

I've just found both of my front abs rings are bent in one place, and has split open one of the sensors. ABS light has not come on yet but the ABS has started to activate like rapid fire just before coming to a stop :cry:

I've de-activated the ABS for now.

How straight do the rings need to be btw? will they throw up fault codes or cause other problems if they aren't dead true?

It looks like someone has used a longer than normal wheelbolt, which has pushed the abs ring out at one edge, you can see the marks on the back of the ring through the bolt hole :mad: :x :(

cheers.