Hofmiester

Anyone know about MK2 limited editions?

I took a punt and bought a Mk2 GTI 3dr yesterday, blind from eBay :) It was cheap-ish and I planned to strip it to make a track car. eBay ad was terrible, no description really.

Turns out to be nowhere near as bad as it could have been. Can't find any rot and it has full history and all past MOTs, seems high spec with electric windows and PAS.

It's fitted with a 2.0 engine from an MK3.

It's a 1991 car and also has some strange badges "edition blue" and seems to be an odd colour for MK2, paint code is moonlight blue?

[ATTACH]80226[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]80227[/ATTACH]

Any ideas what this car is? Also seems to be complete apart from after market wheels.

Limited editions and outgoing years:

90S 1987

10 Million 1988

Atlanta 1989

Barcelona 1991

Berlin Golf

Bistro 1987

Black Line - Red Line 1990

Boston 1989

Carat 1984

Catalyst 1991

Champion 1988

City

CityStromer 1984-1985

Country 1990

Country Allround 1990

Country - Chrompaket 1990

Country GTI 1990

Cup 1989

Eclipse (Mexico) 1991

Edition Blue 1991

Edition One 1989

Etienne Aigner 1990

Fashion

Fire and Ice 1990

Flair 1986

Fun 1986

Function 1991

Genesis 1990

Hit 1986

Jubileo (Mexico) 1990

Kassel 1989

Limited 1989

Madison 1990

Manhattan 1988

Match 1985

Memphis 1987

Moda 1990

NinjaTanuki 1990

Pasadena 1991

Pink Floyd

Plus Ultra 1990

Quadriga 1990

Rabbit 1991

Rallye 1989

Ryder 1991

Silverstone

Sky 1987

Special 1987

Syncro 1986

Tour 1988

Wolfsburg Edition (North America) 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991

Wick Blau

2.0L is standard Mk3, should also have some MK3 interior

Cheers Bill, very hard to find any information on this car. What I don't want to do is start tearing it apart, only to find out it was some kind of special model that I've trashed :)

That looks fantastic Ron - well in mate :)

*edit* missed the bit about the engine swap. I wouldn't worry about tearing it apart myself as it's already been messed with. Also I would guess it's more a badged "limited edition" rather than an actual rarity like a G60 Limited.

Edited by Jamie

I would say tart it up, get some OE wheels and punt it on then get a rougher cheaper car with track bits already. Especially if it has no rust.

I could well be wrong but i thought the Edition Blue was a LHD only. Id imagine it was similar to the Edition One and Fire and Ice model so was available with 8v/16v/G60 engines and a special interior of some description…

A non rust Mk2 is a limited edition thing and with prices being high a little work could make it a far better option to tart up (as Graeme) says and buy another plus have some change...

Hmmmm I am starting to think this could be a restoration project instead. It has some ropey bits like the single wiper conversion is horrid and it has a nasty Magnex exhaust. But the rest is OE apart from the engine being from a MK3.....although it seems to be standard spec with an original airbox etc.

I paid £1000 for it, does that seem like an OK price?

Interior is very good, bolsters are shot but the fabric is fine. Headlining is starting to sag and the sunroof is bust.

Reverse the wiper, exhaust and the wheels (plus minimise the niggles) and thats a 2k car in the current Mk2 Climate..

If you can't confirm its an Edition Blue put the badges on German ebay for some additional profit..

Few more pics of the usual rusty places, that are not rusty. There are a few very small bubbles appearing at the bottom edge of the windscreen but an easy fix. Especially as I'll probably have to repaint that area anyway after reversing the wiper conversion.

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg