Nweaver87

1.8 16v performance

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the corrado and Volkswagen world in general. Just a few days ago I purchased a 1990 corrado 1.8 16v. It's in need of a few little bits here and there to get her running better but once I get back to running well I would like to start on some performance modifications. I am open to suggestion or guidance or even just some websites to look into. I haven't been very successful in finding parts in my usual locations. Also I am American currently living in England. The car is a UK spec car if that makes a difference.

its cheaper to fit a 2.0ltr engine like the abf

you can also try clubgti for chat on various mods , wur /warm up regulator mod is common and makes a small improvement , otherwise its head mods and cams , 4 branch exhaust manifold etc

Well when I leave the UK in October and I will be importing this car to America so I need to keep the original motor in the car. Besides I not overly worried about the price for something so unique as the corrado. Do you know of any websites I can check out some parts prices?

Alas it's back to old school tuning options for the 16v really as has been mentioned. Head work (flowing, porting, etc), different cams perhaps, and that sort of thing! The USA generally seems to be better catered for in terms of modifying cars so reckon you might have some luck out there getting some of this work done there.

Where abouts in the US will the car be headed?

Honestly that is still undecided. Hopefully somewhere in the Carolina's or Florida. The porting and general head work should be pretty easy to get done in the states but I don't know if I'll be able to find cas for the 1.8 the US spec cars have the g60 I believe and also came supercharged so I may not be able to find parts for it very easily.

the mk2 golf 16v shares the same engine and they had those in the u.s

honestly find a abf and all its injection gear to take as a spare

Yeah - was going to say the KR motor was used in other VW's in the USA, or variants (9A) so you should be able to find parts and expertise for tuning - it might just surprise them to see that engine in a Corrado, that's all :)

I'll keep that in mind and see what I can find before I leave. Also I heard that there might be a fuel rail for the 1.8 that gets rid of all of the lines going to the air box. Does anyone know anything about that?

What years were the mk2 golfs? And I apologize for my lack of knowledge of Volkswagen. I'm coming from a lot of Honda and American cars.

theres also the 50mm inlet manifold that we got on euro golfs that never got to usa

theres not just a fuel rail to rid of the k jet , some folk have converted the whole lot over to digifant injection or megasquirt but that will be alot of work, or theres bike carbs or webers for the race car noise

mk2 golfs are 1984-1991 roughly - i think the u.s got them in 2ltr(9a) with some emissions crap, we only had 1.8(kr) in uk with no emmisions stuff

europe got the mk3 gti with a 2.0 (abf) that looks very similar to the above engines but with a more modern electronic fuel injection *** but*** can also be run on the original k jet injection for a almost undectiable install if thats what you wanted

Edited by steveo29

Well along with price I not afraid to do a lot of work to the car. I do all of my own maintenance. I know you guys here in the UK like paperwork and history of the car along with recipes but back in the states it's not a huge concern plus I plan on keeping the car a while. In just a few days I've already fallen in love with it.

it will, but I seriously wouldn't bother, it just shifts the torque very slightly higher

the good thing about the 1.8 'KR' engine is that you can replace the bottom end with a number of 2 litre VW blocks which all bolt up directly and no-one will ever notice the difference unless they strip it down and measure the bore and crank throw, none of the injection system or ancillaries need to be changed

it's also a fairly simple engine to work on and the basic CIS-E injection system is used on many of the late 70's to early 90's American spec VW's

Well that's pretty awesome information. Thank you. Does anyone have any suggestions as to forced induction? Supercharger/turbo pros/cons better power and general cost along with the workload to make it happen.

fit the later 20v turbo if you want to go that way

turboing the orig 16v will be more hassle /money than throwing one of the above in , vw made a g60 supercharged 16v back in those days , but theyre rarer than rare and too much hassle to re create unless you have money to throw away