sean-ff

vr6 head gasket

Hi all, im in need to change the head gasket on my corrado 2.9 vr6.

iv had a chat with a local mechanic who quoted me £300 and i supply the parts.

Now the dilemma is id quite like to do it myself im confident in doing it however iv never done it before,and iv got all the tools to do the job.

now would you recommend me doing it myself or take it to the mechanic (whos also never done one before)

While iv got the head off i would like to get it skimmed and ported and polished along with all new valve stem seals ect.

Would i benefit from having it ported and polished?

any advice much appreciated

Thanks

If you are confident go for it. Get yourself a PDF version of the Bentley manual for reference and print the pages you need.

You may as well check out your top tensioner too as it could be worn.

Fit a Mk 4 Golf metal gasket, will raise the compression ratio to around 10.5 to 1 but will give you a bit more power.

Ian.

Where can i find the PDF version of the bently manual from?

ohh iv only just picked up the gasket for the corrado :( if its really worth swapping for the mk4 golf one il see if i can change it.

while we are on the subject of the head gasket, iv been thinking bout doing a turbo conversion but not till winter time so would i be better off fitting a turbo compression gasket now?

I just built a new engine and didn't know about the mk4 gasket either. Can't be arsed to change it now so using a victor reinz one.

Things i noted when doing headgasket.

I'd heard of the cheap head bolts snapping when being torqued up. Vw ones are quite expensive. I ended up getting arp stud kit. At least they are reusable and may be worth considering if you are thinking of going turbo route in the future.

Vince at stealth recommended I use a product called wellseal when fitting gasket. Just a small amount and i only put it on the aux belt side.

If getting head skimmed. Also get the upper timing chain cover skimmed. When fitted to head the bottom of it needs skimming to match the head.

As mentioned depending on milage most people do the clutch and chains at the same time.

£300 is a good price really. As long as they are up to the job. Always nice to do it yourself and feel reassured its done properly.

£300 isn't bad at all. Was quoted 1k at a local garage and decided to do it myself (well with a mechanic friend). After watching it all being done I'd be fairly comfortable doing it myself with a small amount of guidance. Taking it all to pieces myself was priceless in getting to know my engine but has been a long process...

Where can i find the PDF version of the bently manual from?

ohh iv only just picked up the gasket for the corrado :( if its really worth swapping for the mk4 golf one il see if i can change it.

while we are on the subject of the head gasket, iv been thinking bout doing a turbo conversion but not till winter time so would i be better off fitting a turbo compression gasket now?

If you mean spacer then I wouldn't fit this in advance of your turbo mate. Also your gasket will be fine that you bought.