Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

AIR POCKET WILL NOT LEAVE

Ok for everyone that has kept up on the "G60 High water an Oil temps" I have a substantial problem. I have an air pocket in my coooling system that just happens to reappear. I need some help. I have a copper or metal head gasket so I know its not that and I know that it doesnt blow out white smoke. I need to find this damn leak. it only shows itself when I go up hills or I run the car really fast for a long time. so I dont know what it is. it makes the waster bubble out of the expansion tank, and it kinda pisses me off. I replaced the hose flange on the radiator and the one on the drivers side of the cylinder head. if anyone has advice I would appreciate it. thank you. :?

Not sure whether this is relevant or not but had a problem with a Polo overheating and blowing the expansion tank every now and again. Radiator and thermostat were up etc. Turned out to be the head gasket leaking between one of the bores and a cooling channel. That didn't smoke, but gas was getting into the cooling system and over pressurising it.

The garage found this by using a sort of bung fitted into the expansion tank with some sort of liquid in it which changed colour if gases were in the system. Abit vague I know, but might be worth you getting that done just to make sure.

to be fair, this sounds like the exact problem I had with my G60 after rebuilding it...

It turned out to be a combination of 3 things:

1) a furred up radiator which was causing the water in the rad not to flow properly and so not cool properly

2) dodgy wiring to the cooling fan motor so that it was only getting between 8 and 10V at the fan making it spin MUCH slower

3) the timing was a mile out causing the engine to run hot when under load which resulted in boiling the coolant way too easily...

Hope some of this is of help 8)

Nope I removed the radiator and water flowed, my timing does sound like crap, terrible idle. and I think I will try that with the liquid that changes colors, my expansion tank has funny brown particles in it, dunno where they came from, I hope its not my headgasket, I dont want to take the head off.

brown particles tends to be rust from inside the water coolant system... nothing too major to worry about unless they are big chunks rather than just a few particles... 8)