Sign in to follow this  
scottgroovez

[G60] Toothed Belt Systems - Spoilt for Choice!

I'm thinking about getting a toothed belt conversion in the near future, but which one?

G-Werks/PSD

JMRacing

G-Tuned

After speaking to JMRacing at Stonor Park, John said that the pullies in his system are being modified to allow easier fitment in that the current system requires the pulley damper which the PAS pulley bolts to, to be machined down slightly.

Do the G-Tuned and G-Werks/PSD systems need this damper machining down?

What are the durability of the pullies like?

What finishes do the pullies come in? I quite like the sound of G-Werks/PSD black anodised finish!

Going from a past thread, Darren (G-Werks) mentioned the use of a solid static tensioner in replacement of the OE spring version. Do the kits come with this tensioner?

Has anyone has any experience with using any of the systems?

Cheers,

Scott

I've got a JMRacing set on my car at the moment, and it's almost identical to the G-Werks/PSD offering... (mine's even anodised in black too!) John can also get them anodised in any colour you wish.... 8) (Woody's got BLUE ones on his that look wicked... :) ) I'm using the standard sprung damper tensioner on my setup at the moment, although I am looking into getting a fixed tensioner as the damper is showing it's age and I don't see the point in replacing it with the same again when there is now no point to it... 8)

The quality and finish of John's offering is VERY good... I did have to get my damper machined down as mine was one of the first one's John'd sold since the end of PD Motorsport, and the work on that was well done too...

I've read a thread recently saying that the G-Werks/PSD set also now don't need the damper modding, but I've not actually seen their sets in the flesh so I can't comment on their quality except for stating that I'm sure they'll be as good as the JMRacing ones....

Both All 3 of these systems use a rounded toothed belt to ease wear of the belt and to keep the noise levels down to a reasonable level...

I've not seen the G-Tuned system other than in the photo in the advert in the for sale section... the only difference I can see is that the guide edges on the pulleys are press fitted on instead of held on with screws like on the JMR and G-Werks/PSD versions. The G-tuned system also appears to use a square toothed belt, *EDIT* This WAS just the photo being deceptive... 8)

Hope this helps.... Here's a photo of each system... 8)

*edit* corrected info about the G-Tuned belt tooth shape

Very Helpful and in-depth reply 8)

John also mentioned that his newly designed pullies wouldn't have guide edges as these were left over from the design of the protype version. (he may have been talking about something else, but I think that's what he was on about :oops:)

Apart from the Toothed stuff, Am I right in thinking the only other bits you need to do the conversion are 2 standard 8v Cambelt Tensioners and maybe a replacement for the Belt tensioning damper?

yup... 8) Now that all 3 are supplying a version which doesn't need the vibration damper machining (the big block on the crank pulleys! ;) ) it's a simple bolt on modification.... 8)

You simply replace the plastic idlers for the cam-belt tensioners which takes about 10mins... 8)

I've just had a message from PSD after I've been asking about a fixed tensioner to replace my tired old sprung one and will post up what the outcome is... 8)

One thing I would do though, is to replace all of the allen bolts with new ones (or even stainless steeel ones) so you don't end up rounding 'em off... ;) :D

The next batch of pullies that are being machined for us will have quite a few detail changes to them.

The crank pulley as mentioned will accept the PAS damper with no need for modifacation, we will be retaining our rose jointed static tensioner design, some pullies will be extended, the bolt on guide tensioners ommitted as they proved not to be necessary and a little bit of overkill on the original design.

All the pullies will be hard anodised black using a industrial anodising process, it is possible to get cosmetic anodising in other colours, but i'm afraid we will be sticking to the Henry ford philosophy of 'avalible in any colour as long as it is black' as we prefer the duribility of the industrial anodising.

There are quite a few G60 kits that have covered many trouble free miles. With regard to pulley wear, we have 47 G40 toothed belt systems knocking about the UK and europe which have covered a very high cumerlative miles with no issues with pulley wear. I spoke to a guy who has covered 35k miles now on his G40 kit. He is on his second belt, but no other issues.

Other detail of our pulley system here

http://www.pitstopdevelopments.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684

Well actually this is what is included in our kit.

Our systems dont use a square tooth shape Henny but is more smoothed so its less hard on the belt but yea it looks like that on the pics :) . One thing to note is that all the pulleys on our system are machine pressed and they bed the belt inside them due to the 2 lips on the side of the pulleys thus helping keeping the belt straight. We been using these systems on many cars with good results.

kind regards

migs

cheers for clearing that up Migs, I'll amend my first post to correct myself... 8)