ray_vr6

New Febi Front Top Mounts Look Dodgy

Hi

I recently (couple of weeks) fitted new Febi front top mounts to my 1990 16v and they look like they have been on the car for years i.e the locking plate is sticking miles up from the body. There is no play but they just look as though they are to soft. Thinking of changing them again - not sure if I can use VR6 ones (separate bearing), another make or poly units.

Any thoughts guys?

I've had the exact same problem, basically the aftermarket top mounts are useless, mine literally lasted 500 miles before I had a massive gap between the top plate and body.

I've posted a thread below this one trying to find out the about using vr6 mounts but no replies as of yet.

Now I think I know the story with using the vr6 mounts bur wanted a confirmation from some one, basically if you are running standard suspension you need:

Vr6 mount with bearing

Nut that holds top mount to strut ( may be same as your original one but not sure)

Top plate with nut ( think it's a normal m14 )

Top spring seat

Now if you are on coilovers you don't need the last item.

Febi ones are normally spot on. I had the same issue with a MK1 Golf top mount recently. It looked like it had completely separated - there was no play, but it wasn't right so it got changed. It wasn't a Febi one that failed though.

Yeah been there too - Febi ones lasted less than a year!

Buy genuine ones, you need the rubber mount, bearing, threaded bush (nut) and the upper spring plate with the flat top for the bearing to sit on - be careful with these as there are early and late ones (later springs have a smaller pigtail)