tman2714

Caitlin - 1990 1.8 16v Apline White

Thought it was about time I started gallery thread as I’ve found going through other members’ galleries so useful and inspiring. I’m not with my car until July so only one photo for now.

So here she is - Catlin. AKA The White Streak (a somewhat ironic nickname coined by my friends)

attachment.php?attachmentid=81589&stc=1&d=1432127587

Bought her from a guy in Newcastle in 2010. He sent loads of photos and scans of the important paperwork. I was confident she was the one so I only bought a one way train ticket (I live in Herts). I’d only owned a 1.2 Fiat Punto before so the midnight 250 drive home was brilliant.

Original plan was to fix some dodgy bits, get her as back to as standard as possible and sort out a few spots of rust. I removed all the aftermarket interior parts for originals, fixed the passenger side window and swapped the 17” 5 spoke rims for 15” BBS wheels (not sure the exact type). Removed sub and replaced boot carpet. I’ve left her on the lower coilovers and the strut brace in.

In 2013 I had quite a lot of work done to the engine by CFM Engineering. Exhaust was also blowing so sorted that too:

• Cylinder head cleaned, ported and gas flowed

• Uprated metering head

• Fast road cams (will have to check the spec- Schrick 268 possibly)

• New followers, head gasket, head bolts

• 50mm inlet manifold (blue powder coated and diamond cut)

• Diamond cut rocker cover

• Milltek manifold

• Supersprint straight through system

• Rolling Road set up

She went in with about 120hp and came out with just over 160hp and 130ft-lb. Also I’ve got some piece of mind the engine seems to be ok and the chassis is sound (don’t want to jinx it too much!). The car pulls well and although I’ve not taken over the speed limit, I imagine it does 120mph very comfortably and has more to go. Didn’t go for the full bore out, 9A bottom end and new pistons as it was just too far out of my budget and I was keen to keep original with tweaks.

Gas flowed head

attachment.php?attachmentid=81586&d=1432126404

Rocker cover

attachment.php?attachmentid=81587&d=1432126422

Inlet manifold

attachment.php?attachmentid=81588&d=1432126435

What’s next?

Well there’s snag list below that needs attention but in terms of more interesting mods I want:

• Standard rear lights – coming soon ( thanks to Southener88 )

• Wide Steelies - 9” in black with stretched tyres – inspired by lilfuzzer

• Most controversially - Raail coat in white (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7cjqP5Owxs essentially plasti-dip). Simple fact is there’s no way I can afford proper respray at the moment so the plan is to sort the rust and smooth the existing paint myself (this summer) then get is plasti-dipped for a few years until I can get a respray. Yes I know the quality won’t be anywhere near a respray but it’s got to be better than the rust, egg shelling and 50 shades of white that are on there at the moment. I also know it could wreck the paint underneath but I don’t see that as a problem as when I take it off I’ll want to respray it anyway.

Apologies for the length of this post but I find details and stories really useful. I hope you do too.

Snag list

Exterior

• Windscreen crack - DONE

• Windscreen rust - DONE thread here http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=89778

• Fix drivers side heated mirror - DONE

• Rust patches

• Washer jet unblock

• Spoiler service/replace motor

• Rear washer jet - glue pipe

• Re lock door handles – (soon thanks to lilfuzzer)

• Mould on roof trim

Interior

• Heated rear window switch light- DONE

• Gut unnecessary wiring - DONE

• Drivers electric seat motor

• Fuse box clips

• Glue headlining

• Passenger side window trim

• Mould on window trim

Engine Bay

• Radiator fan rattle - DONE

• Battery matt and cover/jacket

• Other engine part covers

• Clean

• Tidy wires

Edited by tman2714

It's been a while as I worked abroad for a few months and moved house a couple of times but I'm finally reunited with my Corrado.

She's mostly been sitting in my parents garage, gathering dust. I managed to remove and treat all the rust myself however I failed miserably to paint any of it. It was a combination of a lack of skill and time - rather than do little bits, I attacked all the rust at once making it hard to get a long enough break in the weather to paint.

attachment.php?attachmentid=83925&stc=1&d=1464611003

With this, I finally decided to get a respray. Not a full glass out, bare metal job ,no way could I afford £5k or whatever that costs, pretty much just a sand down, sort the dents and a blow over. I know everyone says to get it done properly if you're going to do it but I want to use my car at the weekend, not be petrified to take it out.

Anyway, I'm over the moon with the result and it cost just over a grand.

attachment.php?attachmentid=83921&stc=1&d=1464610496

Picking her up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=83922&stc=1&d=1464610510

attachment.php?attachmentid=83923&stc=1&d=1464610522

attachment.php?attachmentid=83924&stc=1&d=1464610550

After a wash.

So the next job was an MOT and tax to get her back on the road.

Failed the MOT on the parking brake, steering gaiter unclipped and emissions.

First two issues were easy fixes but the emissions were more trouble. I think it was a combination of the remapping, old fuel and spark plugs which meant it was producing too much CO and HC.

Anyway, all sorted now. Time to get on with the rest of the stuff on the list...