JSchollar

Headlights not working... At all

Afternoon all,

Run out of ideas so thought I would ask the gurus...

The headlights and sidelights have stopped working on the corrado (1994 2.0 16v). Fogs are still fine, as are indicators.

I have replaced the headlight switch with a new one (from 8vMatt), all lights up ok. Like I say, indicators work, main beam blue indicator on dash lights up, but no actual lights.

there is an uprated loom fitted, relays and fuses seem like new.

Any ideas?!

Thanks in advance.

James

Worth putting a multi meter to the loom upgrade to see if your getting power there. If not, have you checked the fuses?

Fuses are all intact, including ones on the loom.

The only thing, other than the multimeter, I haven't checked is the bulbs, but I would be very suprised if all 4 of them went at the same time!

I've read about the indicator stalk being duff, but it appears to still function as it operates the high beam light on the dash..

Do you get sidelights or absolutely nothing at all? It's going to be the aftermarket loom, or the wiring to / from it causing the problem! The bodged aftermarket loom on my old 2.0 16v was a constant source of entertainment! :|

have you changed the relays?

normally when an uprated loom is involved no headlights is due to a failed relay

they are only a couple £ each, id change them just to be sure

I had to do this very task not so long ago

edit: or, if the OEM plugs & loom has not been cut etc, disconnect the uprated loom & reconnect the factory loom plugs & check the lights

if they don't work then you know it is not the uprated loom

have you changed the relays?

What I was gonna say. When my high beam relay failed the everything expect the bulbs would light correctly including the blue dash led. New relay put in place and fixed.

Check if you've got a live at the relay (actually 2, one permanent from battery and one switched from dash) and an earth. You should be able to feel the relay click if it's trying to work.

Edited by MZpog

ive said it before but im sure this is why KUR2Y always used 3 relays in the looms he produced, it was for failover

on the looms he made if a single relay fails then you still retain one side of your lights - kind of a 'get home' thing if they fail whilst out on the road

if im correct in my thinking he put one relay in for each side for dipped & normal beams & then a single one to do the high beam for both sides

if im correct in my thinking he put one relay in for each side for dipped & normal beams & then a single one to do the high beam for both sides

100% correct! - If one side fails then swop over with the good relay that does the main beam.

Ian.

Thank you all for your responses, I knew I could rely on you !

Looks like it could be the Loom the problem then. Does KUR2Y still build the looms? First port of call is to change relays.

Thanks all, will report back.

Thank you all for your responses, I knew I could rely on you !

Looks like it could be the Loom the problem then. Does KUR2Y still build the looms? First port of call is to change relays.

Thanks all, will report back.

happy to help m8 :)

im not sure if KUR2Y does or not but I was planning on trying to see if he is still active on here & drop him a PM as I need another loom for my valver

if I hear off him I will let you know

UPDATE

I am a mug

Just took 5 minutes to look around and see where the relays are. Turns out the connectors had popped off...

Back on, and everything is fine. Think I need a new side light bulb though, and some stronger clips to hold it all together!

thank you for all your help, but I'm sure this thread will help others diagnose failed headlights!

UPDATE

I am a mug

Just took 5 minutes to look around and see where the relays are. Turns out the connectors had popped off...

Back on, and everything is fine. Think I need a new side light bulb though, and some stronger clips to hold it all together!

thank you for all your help, but I'm sure this thread will help others diagnose failed headlights!

ha ha ha don't kick yourself m8, its easy done & we are all culprits lol

glad you got it all working & you know what to look at if any issues in the future

Thanks bud, just glad it's something simple I no longer have to worry about (except the clips).

She's nearly ready for the road, so a few pics will arise soon in the members gallery

Thanks bud, just glad it's something simple I no longer have to worry about (except the clips).

She's nearly ready for the road, so a few pics will arise soon in the members gallery

lovely jubbly :)