Knuckleduster

First Major Battle!!

Hi all,

Had my first major battle with the VR6--that hatefull heater matrix!

Matrix let go and covered driver with steam and hot water on feet on dual carriageway in Northampton.

After drying out carpets etc and getting another core, grabbed bull by hornes and took the car apart. We had to cut the bottom heater mounting bolt off as it was siezed solid which was a pain.The covering material on flaps in heater box had fallen apart so that was sorted out while the unit was out. Got the unit back in and filled up with no leaks but the bowden cables controlling the flaps were kinked and needed attention.

The heater and fan unit CAN be taken out without removing the dash but allow yourself plenty of time,lots of Tea/Fags/Beer etc and take your time to find the screws that VW hide and you will get the unit out and in without breaking any plastic. A large amount of patience is needed to avoid any damage.

Next major job is the alarm system--looks as though its had another unit patched into it and the wiring is a mess--going to put a CAT 1 Thatcham alarm/immobiliser in the car--any recomendations?. I fitted one into the other lads corrado some years ago after the original unit was u/s.

Looking for a sunny day to swap out the sunroof--thats an easy job on the corrado--done 2 before.Just made up new guides for one of our MK2 sciroccos and got that working perfectly both tilt and slide.

It`s a good job I like working on VWs as I have my hands full at the moment.

Best Wishes

Gerry

Well done :) The heater matrix isn't actually too bad a job if you take your time, label things, and keep all the correct screws together, etc. I did end up taking my dash out when I did mine, but it does seem since then a number of people have successfully done it 'dash in' so this seems to be the best way forward.

Regarding the alarm there's a few well liked brands - Toad seems to be a reliable, perennial favourite. I think I have an Autowatch on mine and again it seems very well behaved.

Just be aware that ins not Cat 1 Thatcham unless its installed by an authorised dealer

Any idea if it's possible to get out an alarm installer to just certify an installation you've done yourself?

Don't know... I was just told that it had to be a certified installer but worth looking into

Hi all, thanks for the reply re the alarm. I was under the impression that to qualify fir Cat 1 status the alarm had to immobilise at least 2 circuits to stop it bieng nicked. I put one in a few years ago in a Corrado for my other lad and If I remember correctly I had to get a receipt from a garage to "say" that they had fitted it.The insurance company was then happy.The same thing happened when I put electric (Corsa) power steering in wife`s scirocco--insurance company was a bit iffy when I told them that I had fitted it. But as I am self employed and been fixing cars for some 40 years they accepted it and insured the car without any increase in premium.

Gerry

I've got a Clifford on mine, would definitely recommend it for security. I can't actually drive my own car most of the time! :bonk::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Jim, it should be possible to DIY and get a certificate. I have an ancient Laserline in mine, and the insurance company told me it needed testing by a professional fitter to ensure it still worked okay - it cost me about £30 iirc, and I got a certificate to say it complied with Category 1.

Gerry - I think you're right in it needing 2 circuits, it needs to isolate the fuel supply and ignition.