corrado wannabe

Another rough running thread, but with specific decription of symptoms

Bit of advice or general thoughts please,

2.0 16V 9A Engine, have been experiencing some strange running issues with it recently.

Car starts perfectly, tick over is on the button, however if I drive the car off on a journey immediately it will run well for about half a mile then will start to backfire, very hesitatant under partial throttle and appears to be fine on full throttle above 3k revs.

If I switch the car of when this happens and restart it immediately, it starts well and hten does exactly the same, ok for half a mile then symptoms appear again.

If I nurse it through the symptoms for a further half mile the car then drives as normal.

Now if I start the car up and leave it ticking over for 5-10mins then drive it off, it is fine, no issues with running at all.

So my question is what do you all think?

To me I think it is temperature related, the guage has always read on the low side, but the heater etc is as hot as it should be so I dont think it is a thermostat issue.

Temperature sensor?

What about the Lambda probe, What are its parameters for working?

Answers on a postcard please

Dougie

Car starts perfectly, tick over is on the button, however if I drive the car off on a journey immediately it will run well for about half a mile then will start to backfire, very hesitatant under partial throttle and appears to be fine on full throttle above 3k revs.

Had similar symptoms in my old MGB and it turned out to be a faulty dizzy cap/rotor arm. Worth a swap if you have a spare (I always carry spares now).

Hi mate,

Thanks for that.

Bit of an update, I took off the distributor cap and both it and the rotor arm were covered in a black sooty powder. Cleaned it all out and the connections are in fairly good condition. Changed the spark plugs while I was at it.

Changed the lamdba(oxygen) sensor and found that the wires on the loom side of the connector are broken. Is it possible to buy a new block connector to splice the loom into? The wires have broken at the connector itself so I dont have any room to splice in a section of wire.

Any help would be appreciated, as my local dealer told me today that they don't stock parts for a van!!!! Clowns

Dougie