Sign in to follow this  
Welsh g60

ignition barrel

I thought my ignition switch had gone, but having removed it I found it works fine so it must be the barrel (can turn ignition on but cant quite get position 2). My question is do I need to get one specific to my key or is it not that bit that I need and how much is this going to cost me?

I'm pretty sure that you can't repair the ignition lock, you have to replace it...

I've got one kicking around here to fit to my car (as well as all the other locks... :? ) which I got from VAG. If you know the key number, you can ask for them to supply a new one to fit your existing key. I can't remember how much it was, but I know it was under £50... 8)

I've gone the other way... 'cos I only got one key with my car, I've now got all new locks which are off a new key (I matched the locks to the new ignition key myself) so that no-one else can possibly have a copy of my key... 8) :mrgreen:

Have a look in HERE for ignition lock changing instructions A-La Stevemac (IE the slightly destructive but MUCH easier and faster way! ;) :lol: ) Think it's on page 2 or 3... ;)

Have you tried turning the key a little way, pulling it out a little (about 2mm), and turning the rest of the way. I've seen it when the guard plate gets in the way of the mechanism, and by pulling it the 2mm you clear the plate. Not a fix, but might get you driving again.

HTH

randal

Dont know my key number and I've only got 1 key, can I get the ignition setup and a key from VAG and get locks to match the new ignition key at a later date (when cashflow allows) and is that still going to be under £50?

tried pulling key out 2mm, made no difference :(

The ignition lock and housing is the same amount even if you don't want to specify the key for it... (in fact, I seem to remember it's £10 cheaper if you just get a random key)

The only thing you'll have to put up with is having 2 keys for the car, one for the doors and a different one for the ignition. It's relatively easy to change your existing locks to work with a different key, but it's fiddly and may require some other parts which, while not being expensive, will be annoying to get hold of...

VAG will supply lock barrels made to a key number for any of the locks on the car at any time, so you could just walk in and order lock barrels for the boot, glovebox and 2 doors with the key number for your new ignition barrel with no problems when you've saved up for them... 8) IIRC, it's around £10 per lock for a barrel to be made up for you...