thesingh

HID - Do I get? Which one to buy?

Im considering HID lights. Been reading mix reviews on this subject. Is it recommended or stick to bulbs?

I noticed there are a lot of HID kits, brands etc... Is anyone else running them, What is every one running?

A HID kit of above 2000 lumens light output requires self-levelling and a headlight washer system to pass your MOT. If it's under that light level to be legal you need electric adjusters operated from the driver's seat.

Lots of info here but basically you constantly run the risk of being pulled for it.

Under no circumstances use the cheap Chinese 'conversion' bulbs that fit your stock headlights - the beam pattern will be all wrong so you'll end up with a massive bright spot directly in front of you that ruins your night vision and inferior light output down the road. Plus you'll be blinding everyone coming the other way. They appear much brighter than halogen lights due to the high output right in front of you, but this is just an illusion.

If the kit doesn't replace the existing headlight reflectors (eg with projector units) then it's definitely not going to end well. As a bonus, if you cause an accident then you may be denied insurance cover for driving an unroadworthy vehicle - not worth the (huge) risk IMO.

What will make a big difference is fitting high quality bulbs (I recommend Osram Nightbreakers) and fitting a relay kit to get around the bizarre wiring in Corrados that limits the available voltage. Give it a try and you'll probably find you don't feel the need for HIDs any more, and you'll have saved a couple of hundred quid and be legal into the bargain!

Stone

Or fit a projector unit with a HID kit, this makes the single biggest difference to your lights. The pattern is massively improved from the oem setup, your visibility along with it.

I had some inpro projectors fitted with HID's at one point and IMHO I'd say the standard headlights and osram bulbs are a much better.